Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Apr 26, 2002.

1. It has an alder body, a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard. It's a four string It is fretless. The neck is slimmish...jazz bass slim, and it is reinforced with graphite, or something else to make it nice and stiff. It might be a 3 ply instead.

It has a 36" scale
    It has no fretlines, but has position markers at 3, 5, 7, 9 etc.

It has Fender 60s style single coil pickups. It has a bent metal bridge with 3/4" string spacing.

I don't know what this bass it. I have never seen one. But I want one. So if anyone knows what it is, coould they let me know?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a custom-built one to me - like Sei or Overwater in the UK.

3. the only pics currently reside inside my head!!!

Bruce, I fear you are right.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - Overwater are sort of famous for making 36" scale basses - there is a picture of a 4-string 36" scale Overwater bass in "The Bass Book".

Both Sei and Overwater make custom "Jazz-style" basses though - but Sei are easier to get to. You could have a nice "touristy" holiday in London - put a deposit of £300-£400 with Martin Peterson and then come back in 6 months for another London holiday and pick up the bass!
    :)

5. Is there a website or anything?

6. Bruce Lindfield

7. Thanks...

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What's that company that makes the extended scale bass necks that bolt onto Fender bodies?

They advertise in the back of Bass Player (sorry, don't keep issues here at work)....C Bass? Something like that.

I recall one of their products was a 36" scale neck, but fretted.

I bet they could whip up a fretless neck for you, then bolt onto the body of your choice.

9. D bass, I think, make 37" scale, and they have this setup where the open string is 2 or so whole steps down from standard E tuning. Its pretty neat, it keeps the tension, while allowing your to play lower. Not for people with small hands though.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Or more importantly... short arms;)