What's this oldie worth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimmyP, Nov 9, 2003.

1. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Before my friend pays Gruhn to appraise this instrument, what do you folks think it would be worth via private sale:

1956 Fender Precision Bass - customized. This is a transition bass. It has the "Telecaster" headstock, and originally had the one-piece pickup, but has the custom contoured body of the later P-Basses.

Neck: '80s pro refinish, but it looks older - nice amber color, plenty of checking, has the correct (I think) decal. Shaller keys, frets are good (done during the refin).

Body: Two-piece alder, '70's pro refinish to two color sunburst. Has plenty of wear. Was originally candy apple red (which was not supposed to have existed in 56). It has a custom white pickguard with a '70s DiMArzio P-Bass split pickup. Still has the original chrome control plate. Still has strings through the body, but has a custom bridge plate with the four barrels (instead of the original two).

I had a local luthier put a new nut on it about two years ago, and he loved it - "this old wood really sings!".
  2. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Nov 2, 2003
    Wakefield UK
    If it's a genuine '56 I'd say it would fetch about £900 in the UK.No more because of the changes
  3. It's a parts bass now, and nothing more.

$500.00 to $750.00 on a good day!

I'm dead serious!

4. if you are looking for re-sale value on vintage fenders they have to be all origonal or really close. like treena said it is pretty much a parts bass now so I agree that it would go for around $500. I'm sure it is a great bass, just not a collectors item.
  5. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Nov 2, 2003
    Wakefield UK
    Like I said,sell it to the UK.You don't get so much stuff over here so our prices are inflated.