1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats this pot for? bartolini question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strah, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. strah


    Oct 1, 2004
    I've got a Tobias Basic with a Bartolini active system. There is one volume, one pan, one stacked bass/treble. Then there is a pot inside the back of the bass. Can anyone tell mewhat its good for?? Se pic...

    Attached Files:

  2. Funky Tune

    Funky Tune

    Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    post it in Pick Ups section or you miss the answers.
  3. David Wilson

    David Wilson Supporting Member

    Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't tell for sure with the '???' covering the wiring, but I'd say it's the mid control. Can't tell you what freq it's at, but open the cavity up and turn the control while playing the bass and you should hear mid cut/boost.

    Bart preamps for bass/treble only don't have the additional unit I see in the top right of the cavity.
  4. lowphatbass

    lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

    Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've got the backwards mini-pot thing happening as well on one of my basses. Mine was added because I switched from a 2-way to a 3-way preamp. The flow and position of the knobs on the front of a bass don't always alow for adding an extra one, it would not only look out of balance but may detract from the value of a bass, paricularly if it becomes a classic later on. I'll bet you have a tiny hole in your control cover so you can adjust the pot with a mini-screwdriver, and hopefully your pot has a detent so you can easily find where "flat" is. It is a bit of a hassle at first and I don't adjust it during a gig, I adjust it once depending on what kind of music I am playing on that particular night and forget about it, it's really easy now that I have found the sweet spots, but it took a while.
    EDIT: after looking harder at your pic it is tough to tell if the end of that pot is "split" to allow for adjustment without removing the control cover, so much for my theory I guess.
  5. markfsy


    May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    It couldn't be the output level adjustment could it?
  6. C-5KO


    Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    In my old Tobias Standard, there was a pot on the inside that controlled the mid boost. It pretty much looked the same as what you have.

    You can probably google search the Standard series (discontinued), and find the actual Bartolini specs.


    Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...what does it sound like when you turn it while you play it?...

  8. JPJ


    Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If I had to guess, it would be the master volume pot that allows you to set the overall volume/output of the preamp. This is helpful if you switch between a couple of basses on stage, and (for instance) the volume of your active Roscoe doesn't match perfectly with your passive '63 Fender jazz. This prevents the player from having to adjust volume levels at the amp/preamp.

    Just my guess..... :smug:
  9. strah


    Oct 1, 2004
    Thanks for all your replyes. The thing is that I've had this bass since '94 but I haven't been thinkin about this pot before =)
    There is no hole in the control cover and there is no center click.

    It is hooked up to the blackbox in the upper right corner and the bass/treble switch so I guess its a mid control of some sort. Gonna try turning it this weekend. ;)

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.