Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats this pot for? bartolini question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strah, Jun 1, 2005.

1. strah

strah

Oct 1, 2004
    Stockholm/Sweden
    I've got a Tobias Basic with a Bartolini active system. There is one volume, one pan, one stacked bass/treble. Then there is a pot inside the back of the bass. Can anyone tell mewhat its good for?? Se pic...

Attached Files:

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    post it in Pick Ups section or you miss the answers.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't tell for sure with the '???' covering the wiring, but I'd say it's the mid control. Can't tell you what freq it's at, but open the cavity up and turn the control while playing the bass and you should hear mid cut/boost.

Bart preamps for bass/treble only don't have the additional unit I see in the top right of the cavity.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've got the backwards mini-pot thing happening as well on one of my basses. Mine was added because I switched from a 2-way to a 3-way preamp. The flow and position of the knobs on the front of a bass don't always alow for adding an extra one, it would not only look out of balance but may detract from the value of a bass, paricularly if it becomes a classic later on. I'll bet you have a tiny hole in your control cover so you can adjust the pot with a mini-screwdriver, and hopefully your pot has a detent so you can easily find where "flat" is. It is a bit of a hassle at first and I don't adjust it during a gig, I adjust it once depending on what kind of music I am playing on that particular night and forget about it, it's really easy now that I have found the sweet spots, but it took a while.
    EDIT: after looking harder at your pic it is tough to tell if the end of that pot is "split" to allow for adjustment without removing the control cover, so much for my theory I guess.

5. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    It couldn't be the output level adjustment could it?

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    In my old Tobias Standard, there was a pot on the inside that controlled the mid boost. It pretty much looked the same as what you have.

You can probably google search the Standard series (discontinued), and find the actual Bartolini specs.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...what does it sound like when you turn it while you play it?...

~S~

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If I had to guess, it would be the master volume pot that allows you to set the overall volume/output of the preamp. This is helpful if you switch between a couple of basses on stage, and (for instance) the volume of your active Roscoe doesn't match perfectly with your passive '63 Fender jazz. This prevents the player from having to adjust volume levels at the amp/preamp.

Just my guess..... :smug:

9. strah

strah

Oct 1, 2004
    Stockholm/Sweden
    Thanks for all your replyes. The thing is that I've had this bass since '94 but I haven't been thinkin about this pot before =)
    There is no hole in the control cover and there is no center click.

It is hooked up to the blackbox in the upper right corner and the bass/treble switch so I guess its a mid control of some sort. Gonna try turning it this weekend. ;)