What's this Warwick worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassment80, May 15, 2012.

1. Higher than $1,000

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. $1,000

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. $900

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. $800

13 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. $700

32 vote(s)
    24.8%
  6. Lower than $700

62 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. Bassment80

Bassment80

Sep 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Hey Guys, getting ready to sell some stuff and looking for opinions as to what the world thinks it's worth so it'll sell quicker.

Please don't consider this a classified ad, I know where to post that. I'm just looking for some pricing help because the gear is always worth more to the original owner. Just want to know what a fair price for both parties would be.

I have a beautiful Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string bass with a SKB hardshell case. It is in near pristine condition with hardly any "belt-rash" on the back. The only blemish on the body is some slight discoloration above the neck pick-up where I used to rest my thumb. Bubinga body, Ovangkol neck, bolt on, Wenge Board, MEC Electronics and MEC Pick-Ups. It is 100% original.

Any feedback would help. I'll try and add more pics.

Attached Files:

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If you want to sell it quickly, $600. If you're willing to let it sit a while. $800. Some might shoot for more but I don't think they'd get it. Most people would have checked ebay, and the classifieds here to see what others have sold it for. I'd suggest doing that.

3. Bassment80

Bassment80

Sep 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Thanks Joe! I have checked Ebay and classifieds but I also wanted to get the professionals opinion as well. Nice video!

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    :) Thanks.

5. Bassment80

Bassment80

Sep 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Here's the back and neck

Attached Files:

6. Not a lot of love for interest in Warwick basses in my area. IMHO $600 would be pushing the upper limit and $450 - $500 might move it quicker.
    See what GC would give you for it, then double the amount and subtract 5% - 10%. For example if GC offers 300 double it to 600 then multiply by 0.90 which is $540. That probably gets you into a reasonable ball park for your area. YMMV

7. carvnbass

carvnbass

May 2, 2012
    Kansas
    I sold that exact bass for $800 - in 2002.

Someone in Australia. Ebay. Oddly, I had bought it from a musician in Mobile area for about $500 from someone who really wanted to sell it fast, but that was like 1998 or something when they were hotter and in demand a little more.

GREAT bass.

8. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    I paid 600 for mine, with the ash body (finished black) and black hardware.
    iI suspect the bubinga body would add a premium.

9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Is it German or Korean? They are of similar quality I'm told, but a Warwick fan might cough up extra for a German.

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Bubinga and wenge gotta be german.

11. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Going market rate for a German 'vette is $450 - $700 depending on condition, neck wood, neck profile, passive or active, fretted/fretless, style of JAN, and year of manufacture.

I just sold a '98 Corvette STD 4 string with a wenge neck, Bartolini p'ups run passive. Bass was in excellent condition with little to no wear for $680 shipped to TX.

12. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    That's an ovangkol neck, not wenge.

13. Bassment80

Bassment80

Sep 23, 2009
    Chicago
    UPDATE: The info I originally listed about this bass is not corrrect. This is the correct info.

Type of construction: bolt-on Neck
    5 strings.
    Body: Bubinga
    Neck: Ovangkol
    Fingerboard Neck: Wenge
    Scale: 34 "
    Frets: 24 Bronze
    The upper nut: Just-a-Nut III
    Bridge: Warwick 2-piece bridge
    Pickups: MEC "Dynamic Correction" J / J passive
    Controls: Volume, balance, tone
    Mechanics: Chrome
    Color: Natural (Natural Oil Finish)
    Equipment: Guitar, Keys
    Country of origin: Korea
    Streploki: Warwick.
    Weight: 4.4 kg.
    Strings: 045 '- 135' (42,301 M).

14. Bassment80

Bassment80

Sep 23, 2009
    Chicago
    This was one of the last Korean made before they were discontinued. A friend of mine that is helping me sell this found this out. You'd think I'd know more about what I was playing...

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    That's WAY too high. These weren't even moving in the classifieds at the $400 range for awhile , which is the main reason why I sold mine over CL.

16. Yeah, sorry- the market is still in le creper & ovangkol-necked Warwicks are everywhere.

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Original description was a little different. Didn't know it wasn't German. Thought it was an all wenge neck.

18. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    you'll get 600 bones for this, may have to wait a little or you can get close to that on a trade.

19. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    These Korean Warwick's have buggered everything up in the used market. Dont get me wrong, they're awesome instruments, and I'd happily buy and play one. But they are so much cheaper new than the German ones. Anyone with a German Corvette Std. to sell just can't do it for what it's worth. Mine, for instance, would have gone for around $2800 - $3200 (AU) new back in 2001. But you can buy a new Korean one for $1600 nowadays. Because of the quality of the new ones, you can't convince anyone to buy a German equivalent, used, for more just because it's German. Warwick diehards might be different, and maybe in a few years German Waricks will be collectible.

20. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    Outsourcing made the German line exclusive. Korea is also known for being a high volume medium quality place to make instruments, and no matter what the quality the stigma is there. I am hanging on to my German Wick for a few years for sure. I bet the selling price will actually go up a bit now that they are the equivalent of a MIA vs. MIM.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021