Whats those Sansamp BDI people talk about?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashermatt, Mar 13, 2006.

1. thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    i've been hearing tons of people talking about this sansamp BDI or is it BDDI pedal... i looked for it online at some places, is this what a lot of people talk about... http://www.bestbassgear.com/sansamp-bass-driver-di.htm

if so can anyone give me a brief summary of this little guy?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yes, that's the box. It's pretty handy DI that can help you approximate the sound of a tube amp if you don't actually have a tube amp at your disposal. I think it's a pretty versatile box - it's preamp, a DI, an overdrive pedal, and it sounds pretty good.

Some people hail it as the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it is good - it CAN make a decent rig sound great.

Some people don't really think it sounds like a tube amp, though I myself am in the "close enough" camp.

Some people don't like it. It's not for everyone. You can hear samples of it at www.basstasters.com

If you ever pick one up, spend some serious time tweaking the knobs - even little changes will have big impacts on your tone. There are a lot of sounds in the Sansamp.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The RBI (rackmount version) and the newer ParaDriver DI are different in the sense that they have a dedicated "Mid" knob, while the original Sansmp Bass Driver only has Bass and Treble controls. That bugs some people, though many don't seem to mind.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm using the sansamp BBDI into a power amp and really like it alot. The RBI on the other hand had some problem that apparently wasn't fixable so I had to get rid of it. You can read all about that here.
    Like I said my experience with the BDDI has been a good one.
  6. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    anyone have experience with teh programmable BDDI? looks like a great product.

street prices? pro's cons comared to other SANSAMP products ( not compared to other products in general)

7. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I have the older model pedal & I dont like the tone enough for direct recording or stand alone with a power amp. But here is is what I really like about my BDDI... I often use house gear when I am on the road. I can use my BDDI on the front end of the amp and with very little adjustment get pretty much the same sound every single time, no matter what brand amp it is.
  8. I've got the Programmable BDDI, and I freakin' love it! Grind tone, Slap tone, or Jazz tone, all at the flick of a switch. And it was only a few bucks more than the single channel BDDI. Great product, great value, IMO.
  9. CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    does the 3 channel programmable bass driver pre put out a line level output for a power amp?
  10. Yes, it can be used as a straight-up pre-amp if you want to, and the level is adjustable.
  11. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    How does the sansamp sound with a tube amp? Does it make having one unnessicary? I want to add a little gritty distortion to my tone and it would be nice to be able to change my tone at the step of a footswitch.
  12. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    If you already like the tone of your amp, I would recommend this over the sansamp for a distortion pedal.

SIB Varidrive Distortion Pedal

Its a little tough to find them in stock at the moment, but if you buy one, make sure its one of the newer ones with the voltage switch on the side (black case)
  13. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Normally I use my BDDI pedal as a kick in effects pedal with my Mesa 400+ , for when I want to quickly switch to that SVT type rock tone. However last night, for a change and as it was a smaller gig, I used my SWR SM900 amp with the BDDI left on continuously. Amazing - I didn't miss the 400+ as the BDDI compressed and "softened "the tone sufficiently to make the SWR a different sounding amp, far more valve-like, more compressed and less toppy.As with most things it takes a while to get used to it, and it certainly is more effective if you run your guitar full on and control volume at the amp. It is the only pedal I have ever kept and used consistently in 30 odd years of bass playing.
  14. jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    +1 8mmOD. Anyone that's spent any time with one can drop a sansamp in front of a 10 year old 160 watt Crate and make it sound sweet. I thought I lost mine a week ago and almost hyperventilated.
  15. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I agree with all of this and I said it earlier, the bddi can make any amp sound the same every single time, no matter what brand amp it is. I own an SVT & I never want, or need to change my tone throughout a set. But if you aren't playing an SVT and want to get close to that tone, the sansamp will do it IMO. But if you want to maintain your amps TRUE tone with a nice tube distortion added, the Varidrive will do it.
  16. Though I've never tried a Varidrive, I'm having some success running my BDDI Prog through the effects loop of my pre. Because the effects loop is added post-EQ, the amp's tone remains untouched, and when I activate the BDDI is just adds some fuzz, or tubey EQ boost, or whatever I need, to the existing tone.

Works for me, but obviously you'd have to test it out for yourself. Just another thought.
  17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've owned both and I actually got rid of the RBI because I preferred the BDDI for some strange reason. For me, at least, the BDDI's tone was more pleasing.
  18. I think it sounds kind of like a tube amp, but it does have hellishly good sounding overdrive, i use it infront of my SVT alot

Its also good for those gigs where you cant get an amp, ie like last night, a friend of mine was wanting to borrow my rig for a gig, but we couldnt fit the cab in his car, so i grabbed my BDDI and off we went, he went through the PA and it sounded good (only downfall was lack of actual backline so he could hardly hear himself)
  19. nicolas

Jul 6, 2006
    i love the sansamp BBDI, never leave home without it. i use it as an overdrive pedal in front of my ampeg SVT and also run it through the DI to the sound board when i play live, mixing it with the mic'd amp sound. gives me tons of growl! when touring i don't always have access to quality amps (especially when travelling overseas) and the difference this puppy makes is amazing.
  20. Zalle

Jul 24, 2005
    That sounds just great, I m thinking about getting one, to have as a preamp. For some years ago I had the RBI rackmount, stupid as I was I changed it to get another bass, I whish I had more money for bass things, luckely this one is alot cheaper than the rackmount.