Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with Aguilar's price increases?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Oct 3, 2002.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Their gear is now overpriced IMO. Yes its great stuff- I am the proud owner of a DB659. They went from being great pieces of gear if you wanted to spend a few extra (hundred) bucks to being way more expensive than everything else out there. I can't see how people are going to shell out that kind of cash for this stuff no matter how good it is. There are high quality alternatives out there. Sorry for the rant, I just think it sucks. Ah the good ol' days of Rik's music...

2. C'mon, man, this is basic supply and demand. While there are many people such as yourself who unwilling to pay what Aguilar charges for their amplifiers, there are plenty who would be willing to pay even more. That's the whole idea of a demand curve.

Aguilar's waiting list is probably a year at this point, and I doubt they want to expand production too much; to do so would invariably require lower standards of quality. Therefore, the logical thing to do is jack up the prices.

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Actually the problem is the opposite of too much demand. It is not cost effective to hand build amps that are not selling in as big numbers as was hoped.At this point, with this price increase, it seems as if Aguilar is saying......."we really don't want to build these amps anymore, but we will if you will pay$$$$." One year backorder? I know dealers that have stuff that's 2 years old they can't sell! I'll bet you could get anything right away.

4. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I wasn't very happy with Aguilar sales organization, I think only one person, Scott handling the matter . If he's gone for a trip then nobody else except the answering machine. You can hardly find Aguilar in other part of the world. If some I ask any normal dealer in Asia or Australia, they do not even know the name. I believe it is totally wrong to increase their price which is already high, but instead must increase the number of sales to make it more economical.
    Over this region Australasia, only Ampeg , SWR and Trace Elliot are the well known top brand !
    I know one guy from SLM who often travel to Asia to market and make some sales to the distributor.

5. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    Uh, okay. sounds like you have the inside poop. I'm not surprised to hear that it's expensive to hand build those amps. Which dealers have had Aguilar stuff for 2 years? I've been waiting since May for a DB 750. Maybe I could try the dealer you know and get it quicker and cheaper. I take it you're not an Aguilar dealer yourself.

6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Look at the dealer list on the Aguilar website http://www.aguilaramp.com . I bet some of the lesser known stores have the DB750. For instance, I e-mailed Bass Central,Bass Palace, and Bass Northwest and all had a waiting list for the DB750. Then I call Larry Morgan Music in Dallas and Glen at Austin Bass Traders and both of them had the DB750 in stock. Not only did Glen have it in stock but he matched Bass Palace's price and I had it in 3 days.Incredible amp BTW.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's "Business 101" IMO - demand drives price.

They make a damn fine product, people have recognized it, and they are cashing in like any sane business.

Look at Fodera. People lust after those because their major qualities outweigh the fact that the knobs and cavity covers they use are atrocities.

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    bassboat,
    The DB-750 is an exception to the "2 years on the floor' quote because it's a new product. I hope you are guaranteed your price, as that has now been raised as well! Not only did Aguilar raise their prices an obsene amount, but they also changed(reduced) the discount to the dealer! Good luck getting ANY kind of deals now.
    And no.......I'm not an Aguilar dealer. I have been offered DOZENS of times, but never felt the "vibe".
    GEEK
    P.S. If you're gonna spend 2 G's on an amp.....get a Walter Woods, you'll never look back!

9. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    rickbass,
    Business 101B.......................
    Raise the price on something with low demand, go out of business!
    GEEK

10. Not if you can create the perception that your product is a luxury good. People pay through the nose for luxury goods.

11. MacMurray music here in St. Louis seems to have all the Aggie gear sitting in the store. Of course that entire store is overpriced, so nobody probably notices a price increase. Nobody I know shops there :)

12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Something here doesn't make sense. If someone introduces a product that is expensive to build and it flops, you don't raise prices with the hopes of choking off demand. You DISCONTINUE the line. Isn't that what Gibson does after every aquisition?

I think the realtiy of Aguilar is that they want to stay a handbuilding type of organization. That limits the number of amps they are going to be able to produce per year. In the mean time, if people are clamoring for the product, it only makes sense to raise prices.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've had tremendous success in my dealings with Aguilar - VP Dave Boonshoft was great to deal with, first class all the way . . .

14. rickbass

I don't follow you at all :confused:

Aguilars are in very high demand. They even are sold through Musician's "Fiend" who only handles the most popular gear.

15. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    rickbass,
    I don't mean any disrespect to you, but I think selling product through "Musician's Fiend" is the quickest way to lose "boutique" status!
    Just wait till they can't sell the pieces they have in stock currently, and you'll be able to buy them below cost during their "de-valuation" sale! Remember.........Musician's Friend is Guitar Center's on-line store.
    GEEK

16. About a month ago, guitar resurrection still had a DB750 in stock. I tried it out before I moved to Boston. Sounds great!

Give them a call
    http://www.guitarresurrection.com/

17. rickbass

None taken GG, because all you have to do is plug into one in and you don't care if you bought at Lonesome Larry's Pawn and Check Cashing Service.

By your rationale, we should consider Eden, Lakland, SWR, Marshall, Soldano, Neuman, Modulus, Spector USA, Warwick, (the list goes on), to be all "junk" too because MF handles them.

I don't think they care about their "snob appeal." The care about staying in business and they know the truth is there when you use their products.

18. Spoken like a dealer.

19. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks for the responses. I'm a big fan of Aguilar stuff and like you all I'm interested in where this company is headed. I don't know where that is and it doesn't seem like anyone else here does for sure either (although I did enjoy reading your responses-thanks!). I do know that I've had a coulple guitar players comment about aguilar gear and how great it is which would seem to support the "luxury good" theory. It seems word is getting around about how good this gear is and maybe they upped their prices for no other reason than because they could and people would still buy their stuff. It's still too damn expensive for the avarage working musician. Maybe I'll become a lawer so I can afford a DB750.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Somehow I doubt that Aguilar is aiming for the average working musician. They're aiming for the folks with deep pockets who don't have qualms about spending money. Do I blame them? Heck no. An Aguilar amp is not a neccessity, it's a luxury. I'd be willing to bet that few true working musicians are using the kilowatt rigs we see people posting about here either... not that there's anything wrong with that;)

Don't like the price? Don't buy it. There are few things sadder than someone whining about how much they "had to" spend on gear they didn't "have to" buy in the first place.

Could it be any simpler?