Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with all the clueless newbies?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, someone had to say it ...

As of late, I've noticed that a lot of threads are being posted in forums (mostly Basses) where they obviously don't belong. The majority of miscreants are recent new members who apparently don't care where they post their thread, as long as they get an answer.

People, please make an effort to keep talkBass tidy. I know that you're anxious to have your questions answered, but ask your string related questions in the "Strings" forum, your oickup questions in "Pickups" and please post all non-music related questions in "Off Topic".

This is a very nice place to share information and learn; and there's room for everyone, as long as you make an effort to fit in. So help your friendly Moderators keep the forums tidy. Also, keep the forum posting guidelines in mind. We get no joy from editing/deleting your remarks, posting responsibly helps keep your ideas free of edits, etc. Thanks.

There. I said it.

BW:cool:

2. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    "Lighten up Francis"

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    This doesnt have anything to do with music,so it should be in off topic,shouldnt it?JUST KIDDIN' WITH YA!:D

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, TalkBass related threads go under Miscellaneous.

...or are you saying TalkBass has nothing to do with music?:mad: :D

Flash: I was encouraged to post it by another moderator. I meant every single word, in a beautiful, loving way. ;)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    somebody seems a bit high strung...

I LIKE IT!!!!!! IT SUITS YOU!!! see, that's what you get when you get a conklin!!! :D

6. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I understand the reason for the post, it is the spirit of the post I think could have been more positive.

I mean...not all of the newbies are evildoers, villains, infidels or heretics. I assume of course you knew what the word meant when you put it in your post. :rolleyes:

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you call him "Francis", he'll kill ya! :D

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If any of you touch him, he'll kill ya.

9. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Anyone touch his stuff....he'll KILL ya!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They're not? :confused:

:D

11. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    No....here...drink this.

12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yes, hence the use of the term "new members" with the qualifier "who apparently don't care where they post their thread, as long as they get an answer." I wasn't talking about all newbies.

I know what the word meant. I'm hoping and praying other people do...

13. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    The semantics of your post will not hold water. The portion of the sentence in question "...new members who apparently don't care where they post their thread, as long as they get an answer." does not technically disqualify new members who do follow the rules, or those who are mearly uneducated on the "ins and outs" of posting. Unlike the statement, "new members, who intentionally post incorrectly because they don't care as long as they get their question answered", that does qualify which new members are miscreants.

Technically speaking...."Lighten up Francis!"

14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thank you Stacy, for your concern and your pontifications. I think they're very... informative.

;)

15. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    See...you're doing it again....being latently insulting....maybe a third of the people who visit this site would know what you are talking about...

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Flash, welcome to Talkbass.:)

If you have a gripe with a Moderator, it is much better to do it via PM or email rather than in an open Forum.

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    People look like less of an Ass that way. ;)

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Technically, you have your grammar and punctuation exactly backward. By inserting the comma after "members," you turned Big Wheel's restrictive relative clause, which indeed specified only certain new members, into a NONrestrictive relative clause, which then had to be taken as referring to all new members.

19. awwwwwwwwww.........;)

20. This might be a good point to add to the Rules section so that "Clueless Miscreant Newbies" will understand proper forum etiquette.