What's up with all the lame polls?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Now, don't get me wrong. I think the poll feature is fantastic and worth having, but it's only as useful as the options listed in it. To have Danny Bonaduce as one of the options in a poll about slapping is not very productive. It is frustrating to people who want to make a valid contribution and makes people reluctant to want to participate in valid polls.

If you know very little about a player, product or technique, ask the members who they think is the best, then post a poll with the names that were mentioned most frequently. otherwise it becomes a "The best of the ones you know" poll, which doesn't really help anybody.

One more thing, someone posted a poll in one of the "Ask the Pros" forums for the pro to answer. Again, why not just ask directly? A poll is like, well, other things we have but don't use all the time just because it's there.

A Poll should be fun and informative to everybody, not just the person who created it. Think of what you're trying to achieve by creating the poll and if it is really necessary.

Will C.:cool:
  2. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Oh come on Will, lighten up a little. I thought the Danny Bonaduce choice was pretty funny.

Did you guys ever see an interview with him about the partridge family days? He said David Cassidy stopped in the middle of a scene and said "look, you pluck a bass, you dont strum it, you pluck it....ok". Thats some funny stuff

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Hmmm...I dunno. I think the polls are over-used. Seems like too many times they get started when someone just wants to see how much activity they can generate. I say wait until you have something useful and informative.
  4. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes, I tend to agree. I didnt even vote in this one. I just thought it was semi-funny.

You have to remember, this is the "miscellaneous" forum. Not everything in here needs to be stimulating and thought provoking. So if someone wants to publish a lame-ass poll with nothing more inteligent than "which do you like more, cats or dogs", then so be it. If they put it in "bass" or "amps" section, then it should be moved. No biggie. And if it really does blow, then just ignore it and move on.

just my .02 worth

5. That was worth all of $.02? For the record, I'm with Big Wheel on this one. Maybe it's that avatar of his..... yes master... yes master... anything you say.
  6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000

I have nothing against fun threads, just lame polls.

I like to think that Miscellaneous is as serious a forum as "Basses" or "Amps" and pertains to subjects which don't quite fit in any other forum. I also think I'm pretty carefree about what gets posted, but am also entitled to ask people to be aware of things if I see a potentially bad trend looming in the horizon. You're welcome to disagree if you want.

7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well...errrr...mmm...okay! I'll agree, I suppose;)

Actually, I see your point. I think that it gets a little ridiculous to see some stuff out there. But, what are ya' gonna do?

I personally dislike when some people use their signature to advertise like a billboard! It's a signature! How would you sign your checks? With something that says a fairly obscure quote by a famous band that you like, a quote that you feel your band has cornered the creative market with, AND where your band is playing next week?

Then there are threads that seem to carry on forever comparing the likes of Flea to George W.'s grand-nephew who just started to learn how to play bass; and worse, the bogus complaining threads that make fun of exactly those same threads!

But again, what're ya' gonna do?
  8. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Big wheel---

I didnt mean to start any you-know-what in this thread. This is my favorite bass forum and i've had dozens of questions answered here. The last thing I want is to have you guys treat me like bassvirtuoso13. I like this place.

I went back and looked at the topics in the miscellaneous forum. Most of them are not really serious, including the one by you about your birthday. Most of the threads start off with something kind of light, and then ikickyouintheballs or jwc jump in and say something funny, and the whole thing progresses from there. In fact, the miscellaneous, off topic and gig stories forums are kind of interchangeble.

I'm not disagreeing with your post, I was just semi-joking when I said to lighten up and not worry about polls that aren't meant to be that serious anyway.

just my .01 worth. (is this better xavier?)

9. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have to admit, I ignore "poll" posts. At first I checked them out but realized they were usually a complete waste of time. They were interesting in any way, neither helpful nor funny nor even thought provoking. Sorry, its just my opinion. I dont mean to imply that those who like them dont also have valid opinions too. But, luckily they are easy to ignore for the rest of us.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I for one, would LOVE to slap Danny Bonaducci.
  11. i agree with you Big Wheel, but i think you should have done this thread with a pole.

12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I agree with you on this Big Wheel. I thought this site was supposed to be informative in nature, I've been coming here for a while now, and some of the posts are fairly legitimate, but some of them are completely unneeded and have nothing to offer anyone. Much like the Flea vs XXX posts in bassists that I'm getting ready to put an end too. :) This forum as all the forums here should be taken just as seriously as basses or amps. Just because its miscellaneous doesn't mean it has to not be taken seriously. after all this is talk bass, so why wouldn't even a miscellaneous forum not be about bass in some way shape or form?
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have complained about poor use of polls myself many times in OT; but I get the feeling that underlying topic of this thread is that "Miscellaneous", is getting to be a bit of a mess and needs more clearly defining.

I think that most people who have been around here for a long time, know what its meant for, but those who are new are no doubt, going to find it confusing. Maybe we need a "re-stating" of what it's about?

I mean - as we have "Off Topic", it's pretty clear that this is where the non-serious and stuff completely unrelated to music belong. So Miscellaneous should be about serious issues related to Bass Playing and Music-making, that don't fit in any other categories. So if it's about slapping it probably belongs in "Technique", if it's about a particular bass player - in Bassists or if about a band, maybe "Recordings".

So what does this leave - there are some good examples here - like Band Websites. But I think it might be useful to have a FAQ somewhere - maybe like Paul's messages that stay at the top, which explains what is meant to go in the forum.

I know this sounds a bit "proscriptive", but otherwise you get people posting new topics about the same thing in several different forums, whereas if they had looked in the right forum in the first place, they could have found an ongoing debate and just joined in this, rather than starting yet another one, which forces those who want to join in, to keep it going at several places and have to repeat themselves.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You can. The proper attire, however, is required;)
  15. I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I like Bruce's idea of have a post that stays at the top that describes what should and should not be posted in a forum. As these forums become increasingly popular, I find that if I miss a couple of days of reading posts, I have to go through several pages of threads to catch up. Since some of these threads are off topic from the forum that they are posted under, it would save some time since I try and read every post in the forums that I have a lot of interest in.

Big Wheel..if you could bring Bruce's idea to the PTB's, I would greatly appreciate it.

16. I agree that most of the polls are boring. However, as a bass novice they give me many items to check out. I never knew SWR existed before finding this site. I thought Ampeg rooolzzz (humor?). I am learning a lot here, but as always I have to take time to identify the wheat from the chaff. BTW Big Wheel, fala portugues? Morei no Brasil por um ano.
  17. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    IDOB, I think Paul wouldn't mind hearing this straight from the members. I don't have any more pull on this matter than you do. My position as far as the overlapping is that we have members, not unlike fisk, who think this forum, OT and BH&GS are interchangeable. As I explained to fisk in a friendly e-mail conversation, moving threads between OT and Misc. in the case of some posts would be rather anal retentive. I think we have a nice balance of topics, with a little bit of overlapping which up to now hasn't bothered anyone, well, me, at least. I also think that asking the members to be any more strict about where they post things would take a lot of fun out of posting in TalkBass. That's my feeling anyhow.

All I wanted was for people to stop posting so many lame polls. Jeez, what the hell happenned?

Ah, e Aaron: Sim, falo Portugues. Morou aonde?

18. Tenho dificuldade falar o portugues porque tambem falo espanhol e nao tenho oportunidades de practicar. Nao sei qual lingua vai vir de mim boca, o mim keyboard. Tchau.