Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats up with Brice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Looking for a good six string to do some frankenstein work on. There were two that caught my eye on EBAY, a Brice bolt-on with a bubinga top and a Galveston 7 string that looked pretty cool. So I'm looking to do a 'lil mod work like add preamps and maybe a little carving :rollno: ...well...thats why it should be inexpensive. Which do you suggest I liked the looks of the Brice neck through but the string spacing was a little tight plus....its a neck-through :meh: .

2. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I have a Brice 6-string and I really like it, even stock. Galveston doesn't seem to get as many high marks as Brice does.

3. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    I have the a Brice 5 string and its a excellent bass for what your thinking of. Mine is in the project stages of life right now (new preamp, bridge, tuners etc.....) The whole nine and any other thing I can think of to try out. :D

Rob :ninja:

4. I went even cheaper than Brice and got a Douglas, and it's decent. For the price.
    That one was only 200 with shipping too.

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah saw that douglas but didnt like the body to much. But it's lookin like brice is the way to go.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Brice 6 string with the Bubinga top, and I like it. As nice as many basses costing double. The only thing I didn't like was the preamp. I installed a Bartolini pre and it sounds really great. The stock pickups are good if you have a good preamp.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Brice 6 string. It's good, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :eyebrow:
    The Brice 6 neck-through string spacing is 19mm ... don't know how much wider you'd want it :confused:

The stock electronics are pretty good, but a different pre would help ..... :cool:

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    You're right Pointbass, Im probably thinking about the Galveston. Dont like clear finish or neck-throughs for a few reasons, but at that price, I'd consider a six. The bolt-ons really look cool. my only very small gripe is the radius.

10. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    LoEnd, be a little bit careful with those Galveston basses.....

If you can lay your hands on it before buying you may be able to get a decent one, but way too many of them have major issues .... and yes, the string spacing is very tight.

If you're looking for a 7, check on the 'bay for a used Conklin GT7, they pop up pretty regularly. There is a Bill Dickens BDGT7 there right now, with 6 days left the bid's around $170 but I'm sure it'll hit close to $1000 at the end of the sale, they usually do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONKLIN-BILL-DI...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you keep an eye out for the GT7, you can sometimes get a great price. I paid $499 for mine, the bass is in immaculate condition
    [​IMG]

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Thanks for the info Pointbass. Off topic a little: It's kind of funny how a company like Brice can offer 19mm string spacing and mid to high entry companies like Carvin and ESP will not do it. I know ESP will do it for their custom basses for an upcharge. Just a thought. :meh: I actually called Carvin about a BB six string, asked for bolt on, the answer was "we dont do them" then I asked for 19mm string spacing "no". I know they're not a true custom builder though, but I thought I'd ask. ;)

12. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Brice is a weird company :rolleyes:

They do stuff like the 19mm thing, but don't offer any narrow spacing AFAIK. I know some guys here have the older Brice/Douglas 5 strings, and I think the spacing on those basses is 19mm as well. Even the Brice/Douglas deal is strange, 'cause now all of the Douglas basses are made in China and the Brice basses are Korean, yet at some point they were the same company :confused:

Also, I don't know how they are able to offer the quality of the basses they put out at those low prices. I have played a lot of them at Rondo, and on average they are well constructed and really attractive ..... :cool:

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Then I take it that Rondo is cool to deal with, no shipping issues or problems? That is where they come from right?

14. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Since I'm a Jersey guy I have no experience with Rondo's web site business ..... everything I've ever done with them has been in person at the store. From that point of view, they are absolutely top of the class in service and information ... the best music store I have ever dealt with for service and information :D (... but they could expand their higher-end bass selection, basically just SX, Douglas, Brice, Ibanez, Gibson and Fender for the most part :( )

From what I understand, their web-based business is also very solid, but there are a lot of guys here that can give you better web references than I can ....... :cool:

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    DO NOT BUY GALVESTON

Unless you like tons and tons of treble and super tight spacing. But some people might be into that . . .

16. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    I bought one Brice, a HXB-408 on EBay, and my other a Brice HXB-406(black) direct from Rondos website and got Outstanding sevice both times.

They Both arived in beautiful shape, and very quickly after payment.

17. My Brice V2 5-string has 17mm string spacing. I don't know what is meant by older Brice basses, but I bought mine new nearly two years ago. I purchased it thinking it would be a cheap intro to fretless. Surprisingly, it has been my main bass ever since acquiring it. I always prefered 19mm spacing and the 17mm did feel tight at first. It didn't take long for the 17mm to become natural to me, and I can jump back and forth between 17mm and 19mm with no problems.

18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I've bought 3 basses from Rondo and had no problems whatsoever. Very good to deal with. No shipping issues, even here to Hawaii.