Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with Cirrus basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Aug 7, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I found a used neck-through Cirrus at a local store, for under $600.

And for some reason that call it a "Millenium Cirrus".

I just went to the Peavey website and all they show are the new bolt-on Cirrus', and these Cirrus BXP's. THe retail price listed on the Peavey site for the BXP's is like $720, and the bolt's $1299.

What I'm trying to get at is, is the neck-through I found a good deal? What did the neck-throughs originally go for?

Is looked like a walnut body with a wenge top, and some dark wood neck.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Got a pic? If it just says Cirrus on the headstock and has the graphite overlay, it's a regular Cirrus. If they wrote Millennium Cirrus on the bass tag or wherever, they're just confused :)

3. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    It didn't say Millenium anywhere on it, I looked.

But I don't remember that the headstock had the graphite overlay. Is it possible that it's a "real" cirrus and not have the overlay?

I just remembered something else, the wenge top completely covered the top, you can't see the neck through on the top.

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Not that I know of, unless it's an old model and they didn't have the overlay. If the headstock was black, it was probably the graphite overlay. I know mine looks like flat black with only hints of it being graphite aroundt he edges.

5. Well, it almost had to be a real Cirrus; no major company is going to be using wenge tops in a mass produced bass.

6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    So is $600 reasonable?

I really liked the way it played and sounded, modern and organic....very cool.

7. Hey, if you like it, go for it. I can't see a problem with buying a bass you think is great, and if it is a real Cirrus, you've just got a fantastic deal.

8. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine

Unless I can get a new for $720....I'm just not familiar with Cirrus enough to know if it's worth $600 used.

9. 600$ isn't too much for a great neck through bass, I still think that if you like the bass enough, you might as well buy it unless there's something better that you can afford. If you're really concerned, ask in the Peavey site's forums. They're pretty helpful over there.

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    For your description, it might be a USA Cirrus.

Peavey top line basses is generating a bit of confusion, you got:

- Cirrus "Standard" (MIA)
    All of them are neck through, graphite headstock, fancy top woods. They go new for $1500-$1700.

Here`s one at MF:
    Cirrus at MF

There are upgraded Cirrus (like Tiger Eye Cirrus) that have matching headstock, sweepable mids preamp, and ebony board. They go for $2000 (new) more or less.

Then you have:
    - Cirrus Custom Shop: many combinations (woods, electronics, finish, etc.). They start at $2000 aprox.
    - Cirrus Bolt on (MIA I guess)
    - Cirrus BXP (MIK)

There`s also the Millennium that looks "similar" to the Cirrus.
    You have Millennium "standard" (NT IIRC) and the new Millennium BXP.

So, if you liked the bass and it was a Standard Cirrus, you found a great deal. Go for it.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    $600 is a very good deal IMO.

12. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
  13. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Doesn't really look like that.

It has a solid top (can't see the neck through), and has a one piece gold-like bridge.

And there's no big-swoopy B on the headstock.

14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i bulid a Custom Cirrus 4 string in the Peavy website,my final price was $2,100

15. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    The one piece bridge is used on the US models...I would say buy it, either way you are getting a good deal I think.

16. From what Ive seen on the Cirrus basses, if the headstock has the carbon overlay and has "Peavey" printed on it, its an older Cirrus and I believe it would be a more expensive US made model, as I dont think they had the BXPs yet. If it has a matched headstock veneer, its the newer model. If thats the case, it would say "Cirrus BXP", if not, it will be the uS made model, which is a 1500 dollar bass. The BXP being around 600. If you take a look at the website, you can visually tell the difference in the BXP and the US made.Take a good look at it, I just ordered a BXP from Sam Ash that came with 4 nice cracks in the top.

17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Remember, it's a used bass so he could potentially get it for $600, even for the U.S. one.

18. I love my Cirrus....about the only thing that would get me to give it up would be a Benavente or a Fodera

they are incredible basses...I've used mine at one of the nicest studios in Nashville (www.parlorproductions.com) to the stage at Atlanta Fest as well as small coffee shop gigs and everywhere I go people comment on its look and sound...

I have the six string with Redwood top...and I love it!

[​IMG]

19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    They are incredible basses, but the tone doesn't do it for me anymore. I found my P-bass and the tone search is over.

What kind of a head are you using? I see a Schroeder cab.

20. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Looks like it's not going to happen.

It was in a store that was having a Sat/Sun sale, I couldn't make it in on Sunday, about an hours drive, and I just called and asked if I could come right in and still get the sale price today........"no, that was yesterday".

That's a lost sale, due to crappy customer relations!