Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with Ebay?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jun 30, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I listed my Ibanez bass today on Ebay. What happened to the feature where you can browse your computer's documents and post one picture for free? Now you have to have a link inserted to your own website for pics. What's up with that?

Also, I did a search for my bass and my auction didn't even come up. They better not sock me with any fees if nobody bids on it just because nobody could find it.:(

This is my first time selling on Ebay and I already hate it. . .

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Did you click on the first picture box and then go to where your photo was in your computer and click on it to insert it?

I use IPIX (you can go to their site and download for free) but I'm not sure if its needed for this function to work. Its a program that stays hidden on your computer but works with ebay's system for photos.

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    It takes a few hours for your listing to show up, don't worry :)

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just sold several items on Ebay for the first time as well and went through the same thing. The site did load pictures directly from my computer though. I thought it was pretty easy.
    My postings didn't show up for almost a day! It was really getting on my nerves but they finally showed up and all was well. The items sold pretty quickly and the system seemed to work really well. I'd do it again.
    Just my thoughts.

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Make sure to check the time listed on the page. Sometimes if you repeat a search your computer will pull up the (old) page from memory rather than reloading the latest listing.

6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Ummm, I did a search today(over 24 hours since I posted) and my bass still doesn't show up. Also, I was never prompted to insert a picture. I think I'm getting the shaft.

Anybody know how to contact these guys? I can't find an e-mail link on their home page anywhere.

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Did you get the final review/verification page that let you click on the link to see your auction immediately?

8. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I did. I even got an e-mail confirming the listing of my auction.

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Couldn't you post an ad here in the For Sale section of TB and then use that URL address on eBay?

10. Hategear, yes you can link to ther URL inside an ebay auction description.

The easiest way to locate your auction is go to My Ebay page, and click the "selling" tab. The items you are selling are listed. Click on the one you are looking for. I've never had a problem with ebay.

They do have a new page to create your auction, and that new page doesn't allow hard drive uploads, IIRC, and only links pictures from websites. You can still use the old auction page and browse your HD to find your pics. Both pages work relatively the same way.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hmmm, weird! Possibly listed (and searched for) in the wrong catagory??? How about the "sell" tab on the "My ebay" page?

12. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I must have listed it in the wrong category because it's still not coming up under a search. However, it does come up under My Ebay page. Guess I'll end the auction and relist.

I thought that was a new form that was supplied. I guess I'll have to use the old one to load pics from my hard drive.

Thanks to everyone that's replied here so far!

13. You say this is your first time selling on Ebay, but then talk of noticing a "new" form, that seems weird. And in your intial post ask "What happened to the feature where you can browse your computer's documents and post one picture for free". I'm not sure how you have such knowledge if this is your first attempt at selling on Ebay.

If you search from ebay's home page, and not by category, your item should come up with no problems unless you mis-typed something in your search. Broad search terms are usually best. The fact that it comes up under My Ebay/Selling indicates the auction is probably working.

Then again, I could be wrong......

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Try changing the catagory from your auction page (links near the bottom of page). When it askes you what catagory the # for the broad catagory of "Musical Equipment" (the one I always use) is 1288.

15. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    A couple of months ago, I was going to sell a cabinet on Ebay. After learning of all the fees that they charge, I ended up not listing the item after I had filled out the form. The form I used this time was definitely different than the one I used a couple months ago.

I already took it off but will probably relist it again if it doesn't sell on consignment at my local music store pretty soon.