Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with gear prices in Australia?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ole Jason, Apr 6, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I always see the Aussie TBers talking about gear prices that just seem ridiculous. I understand that the Australian dollar is about 76 cents American but it still seems outrageous. Is it all because of the cost of importing the gear? Is everything that is imported really expensive like that?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    A few factors:

- Cost of shipping to Australia is high

- Relatively small market (therefore less "volume" sales of small margin items)

- Aus Dollar used to be 55c US so much of the existing stock was puchased at that price.

3. I've always been dubious of that one, myself. The majority of stuff I see in stores is manufactured in Asia, which is just over the road in global terms.

Anyone want to sit on MusiciansFriend.com's doorstep with me until they agree to start shipping to Australia? :ninja:

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sure, but how many units to do you think they ship to Australia vs America?

Theres a big difference in cost between shipping 10-20 units vs 100-200 units as the cost per unit will decrease dramatically.

Have you ever costed getting a bass shipped to Aus? its between $125-200USD (inc insurance) so that automatically hikes the price up by up to $250, plus there is import agents costs (if you can't do it yourself) etc.

The fact is, importing an expensive bass into Australia works out cheaper than importing say an essex, because the cost of importing is fixed. so the $300-400Aus you will pay to import any bass looks a lot better on a $4000 Sadowsky than a $170 Essex :)