What's up with Jazz Guitarists?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 1, 2005.

1. I just went and saw a jazz group last night where Dan Faehnle was playing (good lord man, can this guy play guitar!).

Everytime I watch one of them play, they are messing with the knobs between every lick it seems like!
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    So you liked how he played and sounded but you were irritated that he took the time to sound good?

I really don't get your question.
  3. you should sound good at any volume, damnit. knobs on bass and guitar were put on so when you didn't want to practice full volume you could turn down
  4. I just don't know that it was necessary to adjust the daggone thing every 4 bars!
  5. It's basically just a sort of nervous "tic" IMHO. :)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, it sounds like he was a sensitive listener - a good thing in a guitarist!! :)

But seriously it could easily be because of the difference in volume between playing chords and single note lines - Jazz guitarists often play with thick strings for a more rounded tone in solos - but when playing chords this is going to sound louder and muddier without some adjustment.
  7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    It's jazz... I bet it wouldnt have sounded right if he'd left it alone...

For me Jazz is all about the little things, Adjusting the Volume may be critical to the song, but I would have to hear it.
  8. maybe he was just having trouble getting the volume where he wanted it?
  9. No. This whole thing was kind of tongue-in-cheek anyway. The guy also got out an allen wrench to adjust pole pieces on his guitar, and a screwdriver to adjust the pickup height. He also had a bridge with the thumb-screw wheels to adjust the height. He kept adjusting that as well. I think he was OCD.

He was a monster though! Amazing feel. Let's end this thread now. It is wasting space. Check out some of this guy's music.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Probably just so he could go with greater attack durring certain parts for a different tone without much more volume.
  11. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Bill Frisell is always messing with his volume knob.
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I used to work with a guy who was a phenominal jazz player, and he did the same thing. His "tic" was to make sure the volume was turned all the way up (so the knob was fully open) between every lick. It was kind of funny, and harmless, since what he was doing didn't make a difference.
  13. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003

My guitar player does the same thing. He's always adjusting and tweaking his guitar knobs, his pedals, etc. About the only thing he DOESN'T mess too much with is his amp.

But, I find myself doing a lot of adjustments, too, with the bass(though, not quite as much as the guitarist).
  14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    And what do you want to be when you grow up?

Play a Les Paul sometime. The two volume controls are interactive. There are thousands of different tones available, all from those two knobs.
  15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :D Ive seen this phenomena before...