Whats Up With My Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by papalastre, Aug 29, 2004.

1. papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    Last week i bought an Ampeg BA115hp and had to take it back the next day because the treble dial wasn't working right. When the guy went to to try and solve it it wouldnt even turn on!!! They ordered me a new one in and i took it home yesterday, everything fine. Second time i went to play this one wouldnt switch on either. Ive tried everything and it refuses to go on. Anyone know whats up with it?
  2. Personally, I wouldn't touch those amps with a 20 foot touching pole.

If you want a great Ampeg combo, get one of the rocket series.

I have played through many, and many I have kept in working order through years of rough punishment (think high school jazz band)
  3. plumby1

Aug 21, 2004
    lol 20ft touching pole......nice image

maybe its something to do with the power supply to your house? it could cause a power surge and blow the fuse in the plug maybE?
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You might of blown the fuse.
  5. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Using an extension cord? I've seen extension cords that have been repaired, but wired incorrectly. Perhaps you're blowing a fuse. If You're plugging straight into your wall outlet, you shouldn't be blowing fuses.
  6. papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm gonna give the shop a phone call tommorrow to see what they can do. anyone recommend any combo in the same price range because ive all but had enough of the Ampeg BA115hp.
  7. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    We'd like to take care of that problem.....

And I'd sure like to start by knowing the serial number of the one you have now.

It sounds like an issue with the fuse.

PM me, lets see what we can do.....
  8. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    On an unrelated, other than it concerns Ampeg, topic...I absolutely must unequivocally state that Ampeg (SLM) stands behind their products like few others. I have an SVT III Pro that I bought new in 1994. It always seemed to have a weird artifact, tonewise, that sounded like the horn in my cabs were blown. I never noticed it in a live band context, but it was always there if I was just "thumpin' and listenin'" I lived with it for nearly ten years. Yes, the amp had been back to the factory. It was 'in spec'. About five years ago, I got frustrated again and wanted my tech to look at it. First, I contacted Ampeg to get some schematics. They sent me, free of charge, full-sized engineering schematics. I took them to my tech: same verdict...it is wholly in spec. I shut up and continued to play the amp. After I got a new 'main' rig and the Ampeg was relegated to 'back up' I was still frustrated. Called Ampeg again and spoke with Dave in repair. He assured me I wasn't nuts and thought he knew what the problem was. Jay (whom I've know since I bought the amp)Hays asked me to ship it back to Dave's attention. I did. As an aside, my tech told me that Ampeg's flat-rate service section is second to none...he also advised me that they were the go to folks.
    Cut to the chase. Amp was returned about two weeks sooner than I expected. Reviewed the replaced parts list. These folks all but totally rebuilt my amp! Absolutely NO CHARGE!!! The amp is now absolutely flawless! It has NEVER sounded so good.
    Folks, I cannot but offer my highest recommendation to Ampeg as a company that stands behind its (WAY out of warranty) products.
    Yes, as a gigging musician...it DOES matter!

Kudos to Ampeg and SLM!!!

9. papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    Good to hear that Ampeg's customer Service lives up to comments that Ive heard. Thanks for the story rok51. I phoned the shop who then in turn phoned Ampeg. The guy in the shop got back to me saying that Ampeg had mistakenly put american fuses in the british amps hence the reason that it was blowin, American mains voltage being 110v and British being 230v. It is although surprising that the fuse held out for an hour. Neway I've to have a new fuse put in in soundcontrol free of change, i think. Thanks for everyone help.