1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats up with Overseas Bass Buyers????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Jan 2, 2007.

1. I have several basses for sale on Ebay (gotta fund my Sadowsky fever) and I have recieved a number of inquiries from overseas buyers.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with non-USA buyers but I have sold more than a few basses on Ebay over the last couple of years and I have NEVER received this much overseas interest! :confused:

The inquiries seem legit and they are all willing to pay via PayPal but I am wondering -- why the sudden uptick in international bass-shopping? Is it the holiday season? Is it scamming?

I'd be interested in some feedback from the group.

2. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Hi from Italy...
    Because US dollar is low.....
    For that reason I bought last July a Kubicki...

3. phatlizard

phatlizard

Sep 21, 2002
    Germany
    The Euro is the #1 currency in the world since 2006 - we are about to buy you!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is probably the reason. The dollar is a becoming a very weak currency, and anything in dollars is a great buy for someone using pounds or euros.

5. I am in UK, i buy from US as we get $1.97 for every 1 GBP ( OH YEH! ) . Also, things in Britain tend to be more expensive don't ask me why but it is just generally a very expensive country to live in. Due to the fact that there are far more people in the US there are far more basses getting sold therefore a much greater chance in getting a good one. I have bought quite a lot from the US, if it is the cheaper option go for it ! I don't know how many fellow brits will agree with me but there doesn't seem to be a very big second hand market over here :meh:

6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    When you consider that a used Metro is about $2700, you can see why we're keen to take advantage of the current exchange rate and greater selection of used gear you guys take for granted :D

7. We're not overseas, you're overseas ;)

But seriously, I would imagine that the weak dollar coupled with the relative scarcity in Europe of a lot of brands that are pretty common in the US would be the explanation.

8. I think there's just not a very big market in general.

9. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Exactly as the other guys said - the Euro and pound are both really strong against the US dollar at present.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Same thing here. I put my MM Sterling on Evil Bay and got 4 emails from people in Germany and two from Spain in a matter of a couple of hours. Crazy...

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I am not a tremendous fan of Ebay, but if I was shipping
    overseas, forget it. Won't happen.

OTOH, I would ship to a TB supporter known on the forum,
    especially with feedback in Europe or Australia.

The observation I take from this is that a new and used
    bass gear store in Eurpoe would have a good market with
    excellent demand for medium and high end gear.

12. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    There are plenty of those, unfortunately they charge astronomical prices. If there was one which sold at US prices you'd be in business though :)

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'm not a Ebay lover also but when you have to unload something and you've had here on TB for a while and you get no bites, you can almost always be sure that it will sell on Ebay. It's a worst case scenario, but works if you gotta have the cash...

14. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Does that reflect import duties on new gear?

What about used gear, if you buy a used bass and have it
    shipped to the Emerald Isle, what kind of duty is it subject to?

Are those tarriffs, if they exist, uniform in the EU?

15. The weak Dollar vs strong Euro/Pound is the main issue but what has happened lately (in the last year or so) is that the dollar has fallen so far that it really makes buying from the US really worth while.

Importing anything into the EU is realitivelly expensive. Import taxes are high as is VAT (in most countries at least). Also you have all the shipping fees. Therefore the Dollar has to drop a long way to counteract these extra costs. Over the past 12-18 months the Dollar has been below this magic line and people are finally starting to catch on so a lot of people who won't have looked on US sites before are now so doing. This will eventually slow down again as 1) the Dollar starts to rise (and it will have to or the ecconomy will collapse) and 2) we get more and more basses in Europe which can then be sold within the union at no additional cost.

If I were in the US and looking to sell a few basses I would be looking to sell to European buyers and before the next election. Whoever takes over will have to build some strength back into the Dollar and then US prices will not seem nearly as applealing to us here in Europe.

Disclaimer - I'm am not an ecconomic adviser. This is my opinion and not a statement of fact.

Cheers

16. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Over here we have to pay 4.3% import duty plus 21% VAT, though the VAT rate is different in each country, UK is 17% I think and Germany is 16%. You still have to pay, even on second hand gear, but to put it in perspective, when I bought my SR3006 six string, including shipping, taxes and all the rest, it still cost me just over half what it would have cost buying from the Ibanez dealer in Dublin. There wasn't that much more risk involved in buying unseen over the internet because they told me the only way they'd get the 6 string in to try out was if i bought it from them first :rolleyes: so needless to say my money went abroad. The second hand markets in the US and Japan are fantastic for us Europeans at the moment, offering value for a start but also different brands and models of fine instruments just not available here. You don't know how good you have it ;)

17. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I'm always on the lookout for exchange rates, and yes the fact that some brands here don't exist or are overpriced are an agravant.

a Music man stingray bass costs around 1800 euros around here right now, that's 2300 USD!!! Some custom jobs are worth that...

Don't you think it's a better deal to snag a near mint one from the internet at around 800-900?

18. Out of interest: has there been a similar increase in interest from non-EU overseas buyers? Japan, South Korea, Turkey?

Just wondering.

Cheers

19. good point

20. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I'm from Italy and that is true...
    unfortunately for almost everything we have to pay add 25% of taxes (applied on the item AND ON THE SHIPPING COSTS:scowl: ) but sometimes it's still worth it...