Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with Oysterhead?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Feb 27, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok so the whole Les Claypool/Primus, etc thread thing has been done to death, I search before I post, but what I'm lookin for didn't come up much.

I think that of all Les's little projects, Oysterhead has to be my fav by far. Some of their songs, like "MR. Oysterhead" groove like nothin else. The combination between the members is this stragne yet perfect fit. Anyway, I know the whole Oysterhead thing was a shortlived project, adn probably inteanded to be such, but does anyone know if there are any plans to do something more with Oysterhead in the future? And while I'm on the subject (don't want to make another Les thread, lol) What would you say is your favorite Band Les has played in thus far?
    I'm done :D

2. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Primus, hands down. The things he's doing now are waaay too hippyish.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm guessing your not too into Phish or much classic rock? ;)

4. if you haven't yet, get the Sausage album. it's awesome. sausage was w/ todd huth and jay lane; jay lane is the man.
    i like all les' stuff. primus, holy mackerel, oysterhead, sausage, the frog brigade; and i can't wait to hear his next project w/ the dude from King Crimson and Danny carey.

5. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    les herb and ler are going to be releasing a new song they are working on. the last official primus collaboration apparently!

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hmm interesting, I didn't know that.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My favorite band he's played in is Primus. My favorite album of his recent projects is the Oysterhead album. I don't listen to Phish at all and I don't really care for them but I dig the Oysterhead CD a lot.

I also thought the Live Frogs Vol. 1 was excellent.
    Can't wait to hear the Claypool, Belew, Carey thing.

brad cook

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I LOVE PRIMUS. I really hope they stay together, really.

9. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    they won't but the belew carey les project should be quite fascinating.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Jay Lane is killer! I used to see him, about 7 years ago, play with Charlie Hunter on a weekly basis at the Elbo Room in San Francisco. He has also played with Rat Dog quite a bit. Great drummer.

11. Oysterhead! WOW!

i was in London last spring and got to see them at a smallish club/pub (approx. 300 cap.)

My jaw was bruised from hitting the ground every other minute!! & it wasn't from the excellent brewskis either!

Les & Stew C. are a formidable rythymn section - I'm not sure if any quitarist other than Trey could have hung with them (IMO)

12. yeah; i saw him twice playing with frog brigade. he's so freakin' awesome. he had a twenty minute drum solo, with the percussionist. he was crazy, playing on the sides of his octabons(sp?) and stuff. wow.
    BTW- love your sig:D

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I saw Lane play with Sausage many years ago. It was great. I really liked his feel. Probably more straight-ahead though than the stuff he plays with Les now.

brad cook

14. man, i wish i'd been older and into the scene when sausage was playin'. that must've ben a killer show.
    i'm definitely gonna try to go and see les' next project. should be interested. i think claypool dates are gonna be out soon; my area will see 'em in the summer, someone old me.

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm a looonnng time Phishhead as well as Primus fan, thus, I was originally looking forward to the Oysterhead project. However, when I bought the CD and then saw a live show of theirs on TV, I was utterly disappointed and, to be blunt, I hope they NEVER return! Why? Glad you asked! :D

Copeland, Trey and Les are all amazing individually and within the right context. To me, Oysterhead seemed to reek of three guys trying to play what they individually played best without trying to play something which suited the collective.

By this I mean that Les played and sang as if he was still in Primus (the later years), Trey played as if he was on stage with Molo and Markellis and Copeland played like he longed for the Police. Individual style is one thing, but when the styles do not mesh and when the individuals involved seem hell-bent on NOT meshing, well, the music suffers, as it did with Oysterhead.

Gimme Phish (all day long, every day!!), gimme Primus and gimme early Police. But you can keep Oysterhead.

16. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Exactly how I felt, Planet Boulder.

Except maybe I'm biased, I think Claypool sounds wierd with any non Ler-esque guitar. When the guitar is backseat to Les (Primus), he can do whatever and it's cool. But when he's taking the more common role, his grooves sound bubbley. Like he's restrained. And I don't like it.