1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's up with Peavey?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stormy 5, May 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Stormy 5

Stormy 5

May 11, 2019
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the group so this may be an old question, but why did Peavey stop producing the 5 string Cirrus bass? I have one and absolutely love it. Its hands down the best bass I've ever played. I've always wondered and never could find an answer on Google. Thanks!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are talking about American Peaveys, they are no longer made. The simple truth was that Peaveys were perceived as cheap, Peavey could not sell enough Cirrus Basses at a competitive price to stay in business. Last year, Peavey came out with high quality import versions of the Cirrus, but I really do not know how well they have sold.

DJ Bebop, Low84, jfh2112 and 2 others like this.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Peavey held the line on US manufacturing for years. They finally had to give up when everyone else went overseas and underpriced them. Like Doc Cheese wrote, the market perception of Peavey is "cheap" even though for the entire time they made basses in the USA they always made high quality instruments (with prices to match) as well as less expensive models. The irony is that they make great buys in the used market as they are so undervalued (except for the T40).

4. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    theres actually a bigger story than this but thats a good nuts-n-bolts of it.....there is also a rumor that Peavey is entertaining the idea of bringing back full-on USA manufacturing for guitars and basses but I guess only time will tell

Stormy 5, fender68, Root 5 and 7 others like this.
  5. Not enough people gave USA Peavey a chance and not enough popular players. Their USA stuff had good quality, especially at the given price point.

They were attempting to revive the Wolfgang as the HP model. I think they got in trouble because EVH/Fender issued a Cease and Desist order. I think guys had some on preorder and they were cancelled. I would have considered buying one since they made some useful mods on the Wolfgang like adding coil splits and a floating trem.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They should take a page from Music Man's book and make a USA bass called the Hartley, then have an outside company make a cheaper version called Hartley by Peavey, so you could get a Peavey Hartley, or for less a Hartley by Peavey made by a different company.

7. In 1997, I watched a Peavey sponsored clinic / tour Rock Across America featuring Bill Dickens, Bobby Rock and Neil Zaza. Although Dickens is primarily associated with Conklin, he exclusively used a 6-string Peavey for the show. He was phenomenal!

8. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    All the cool guys play 80's and 90's American made Peavey basses. :)

9. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Another way of saying they’re “perceived as cheap” is they don’t have the same brand recognition as say Fender or Gibson. They woke up to the reality that overseas manufacturing can be good quality and less expensive.

Stormy 5 likes this.
  10. steelbed45

steelbed45 33 on Ignore Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    No argument from me, but then again, where is Peavey selling anything at all? A quick sweep of Sweetwater and Musicians' Friend showed no results for new Peavey basses of any line. Guitar Center as well, only used inventory showed up.

tindrum likes this.
  11. Simple answer is they made a huge marketing error. The Cirrus reissues were released with rosewood boards and 1 had a bubinga body,this was 2 weeks after the CITES regs on those woods. Outside the USA none of their distributors carried the line due to paperwork hassles.

A strange situation considering this statement from Hartley P in 1983.
    "Most folks don't know Americans are less than 5% of the world's population,that means 95% of customers are overseas. The trick is to sell to them"

By 2017 they'd forgotten.

The old guitar plant site was donated to a local school,probably been leveled by now.Prior to that a small number of EVH necks/bodies were found and Tim Litchfield used them for the HPs sold by Sweetwater. When they were gone that was it.

To start again would take millions of dollars. New plant,new machinery (old stuff was auctioned off 2 year back),staff hiring and training,stock bought etc. A huge investment for what was always a tiny part of their business.

Stormy 5, tindrum and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. Dr.C the Cirrus reissues are gone too. Heard that from a fella who called Peavey HQ.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    The power of Hartley Peavey was his talent to create a much more advanced factory than competitors. This was smashed by other companies 'going China'. I assume this advantage will change again in the advantage of the Peavey company once things change. At this point in time less and less kids play instruments.

14. They were nice basses I’ve played a few over the years, my first bass back in 1994 was actually a MIA fury, not the be all end all but a hell of a bass for the money. Peavey has always made some nice basses for the money. As others have said I think they developed a reputation as maker of affordable gear and because of that people didn’t jump at spending more money on their more expensive offerings. They seem to have fizzled out as a brand a bit. Even on the amp side of things. I’m guessing this is partially because bass wise they bought out trace Elliot and guitar amp wise there is now a new company making the 5150 amps which were their “Hero” guitar
    amps for many years. I still see their cabs used as backline at a lot of metal concerts though. And the newish misha Mansoor signature guitar amp seems popular with younger players playing heavier styles.

Stormy 5 likes this.
  15. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Crickey Dickens

TolerancEJ likes this.
  16. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    As for me, Peavey basses just didn't fit me. I didn't care for the way they were styled, especially the ones that looked like something out of a cowboy movie. And, I could never bond with with their neck profiles. (jmho)

lesliegl likes this.
  17. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    As I understand it, he went to Conklin because Peavey wouldn't build him a seven string. On his instructional DVD he recorded the live performances with the Peavey, it did sound better than his Conklins in my opinion.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  18. For a long time, I saw Peavey as almost as good as Fender.
    Sure, I knew they were good, but the perception of them being somehow less stuck around.
    Only after I had a Fender did I realize Peaveys could be as good or even better.
    Because I think a lot of people saw them as a Fender wannabe, few took them seriously when
    they stated bringing out the higher end stuff.
    With enough marketing, they might stand a chance of selling a steady, but limited number of US custom shop Cirruses,
    now that people are coming to understand that they really are 'all that and a bag of chips'.
    I think they might be able to sustain a small custom shop and an offshore mass production facility for simpler designs.
    Of course, I have no idea if they have any intention or desire to do that.
    It would take a serious commitment to make it happen.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

20. He already had the 7-string because we were discussing it. The tour was sponsored by Peavey, so everyone needed to play them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021