Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with pedal boards?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Iritan, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Hey, I'm not a big pedal user, in fact the only pedal I ever had was a Digitech BP80. I hated it, do I got rid of it. So, naturally I don't know much about effects and pedal, but I always wondered, why does any one need a pedal board. I mean it may be slightly helpful not getting them out of order and keeping them out of the way, but I see these things at upwards of 60 bucks. Seems a little ridiculous for a piece of metal with a mousepad glued to it. Maybe someone can shed the light for me why they are so expensive.

2. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    They are expensive because people are willing to pay it, because most people don't have the time or skills t obuild their own. ANd many also power the pedals, which can also get expesive. And most people I know use them for ease of transport... not a big deal with my three pedals...

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you shop around enough, you can find a steal like I did. I snagged a two-tier board off of ebay for $20.00 (see attached pic). The top flips up for access to all adapters underneath.

As you can see, I use a decent number of pedals, so it would kind of suck having to set them all up each gig. (Note - board is not up-to-date. I've replaced the Q-tron and the Fender delay and I have a BassIQ on the way that will fit quite nicely :D ).

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i am lazy and would rather buy a nice, neat, pre-made pedalboard that probably comes as part of a case.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it cost me about 10 bucks to make my own...

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Some proffesional and serious amateur players haul a LOT of pedals around--even if it's only on for a few seconds on a song, they want it there, and if you travel and play a lot you need something that's built like a tank, can supply power to a lot of pedals, and will protect your pedals from a spill off the back of a moving vehicle.

Like a lot of stuff in the audio market, the fact that only a relatively small number of people wants these products drive up the price, because the companies that make them can't mass produce them in numbers large enough to lower manufacturing costs. If you haul a lot of pedals around regularly, you're probably making money off of them and thus are willing to pay for quality.

7. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    check out the "Pedal Pad" I've been modifying for my guitar player.

he's got some $$$ invested in it at this point..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    for bass, I use an fx rack shelf with a custom loooper pedal for my FX...here's a recent gig shot of my bass setup (right of the guitar setup)

[​IMG]

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My live set up consists of one pedal: the Boss ME-50b. I still use a pedal poard to keep it all set up so it comes out of it's case ready to go.

Instead of spending a fortune, I bought a used road case made by U.S. Case (http://www.uscase.com/) used for netx to nothing!

The actual pedal board is made out of scrap plywood that I cut to fit like a glove into the case and to snuggly hold the effect unit, it's external foot controller, power supply, and a lit-light so I can see the settings in the dark.

The only probblem is that it's really heavy. If I were to do it again, I'd make the whole thing out of plywood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    My live set up consists of one pedal: the Boss ME-50b. I still use a pedal poard to keep it all set up so it comes out of it's case ready to go.

Instead of spending a fortune, I bought a used road case made by U.S. Case (http://www.uscase.com/) used for netx to nothing!

The actual pedal board is made out of scrap plywood that I cut to fit like a glove into the case and to snuggly hold the effect unit, it's external foot controller, power supply, and a lit-light so I can see the settings in the dark.

The only probblem is that it's really heavy. If I were to do it again, I'd make the whole thing out of plywood.

11. I too am amazed at what some people will spend for a pre-made pedalboard. I made mine for practically free .

12. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    never underestimate laziness.

13. [minor hijack] Hey Alembic, do you have some kind of danish connection? The Carl-Martin and Emma is made right here were I live :) The guy who makes Emma pedals is just down the corner of our rehearsal room. Very nice guy. How's the discumBOBulator?

14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Alembic, I saw that in the other thread...Man that board looks sick w/ pedals on it!! Not to mention some fine pedals at that. How's that Delayla?

I use a board, because I want to protect my pedals. Also, I don't have to worry about my knobs moving...One less thing to worry about in a live situation.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's SOOOOOO annoying to have to unpack every pedal and plug them all in, when you have a pedalboard you plug in [usually] 1 jack and go!

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not that handy at building things, and can afford to buy a Pedal Train. I like the fact that it is made of steel, is easily reconfigurable, and makes hiding the cables very easy.

17. I can respect that, no question... it's just the whole dismissal thing.

I'll make an open offer to anyone here: IF you would like a pedalboard, and are not too "handy", PM me, and I'll do it for the cost of materials & postage.

then all you have to do is buy sticky-back velcro, and you're good to go.

Ron

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    hell yeah that is one generous offer!

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd like to see what you can do Mon.

However, for $40, you can get one at www.raveonguitarworks.com.

I'm really itching to get one as soon as I have my credit cards paid off. Unfortunately 2005 is a big year for my family, I turned 18, my brother 21, parents both are 50, I'm graduating from High School and my parents just celebrated 25 years of marriage, so money's a bit tight to say the least.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anyway, back to the point of the thread... I gig with a bunch of effects, four at minimum generally (down to one at the moment :() and pulling each one out of a bag/box, while keeping it protected, plus wiring them up in order, plugging in power supplies to each one certainly gets annoying. Even two pedals is bad.

It's not only convenient, but it's for protection. Pedals don't bang together in a box or bag if they're connected to something, right?

For $40, think of it as a timesaver and insurance policy.