Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's Up With Seattle?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ebozzz, Aug 25, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm a Telecom worker who has been having a rough time since the first of the year. A few opportunities might open up in the Seattle area for both my wife & myself so I'm trying to get the skinny on what's happening with the economy in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest in general. There were and still are a lot of telecommunications companies in my area. That industry is hurting though. That's why I might be considering a move.

I know that the music scene is much better than where I currently live. What quality of living can I expect for a family with two young kids earning a decent income? Are the schools alright? Help!!! :D

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i can't really help you much, since i don't live there, but i bet it's raining.

:rolleyes: :D. sorry.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks anyway J.T. ;)

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it's been pretty dry for the past two weeks or so ;) not sure about the economy, but the cost of living is pretty up there compared to what i'm used to down south. it's really nice, though...but...i'm really really ready to move back to king's bay, ga

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Bremerton is west of Seattle in the burbs, right? I'm a southern boy myself born and raised in southeast Mississippi. I miss the south also but there's a lot of things that I like about Denver. As much as I miss down south, I just don't think that I'll be heading in that direction any time in the near future.

6. No, come to Portland!! Everything's cheap here. Cost of living, housing, beer, pretty much any necessity you can think of. I mean, gas (not GAS) is still at about $1.30-$1.45 a gallon, which is damn low compared to San Fran or LA.

And no, it doesn't rain ALL the time. Just most of the time.

Rock on
    Eric

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm not sure about the economy, but a 3 bed 2 bath house with a yard in the area i live will run anywhere from $200k-350k (i beleive that is a lot cheaper than SF, New York, boston...). I know someone that rents a house for $650 a month. It rains here much less than people think. IIRC, it rains 4-5 times as much accross the puget sound, over the olympic mountains. I definately like the area. After college, seattle will probably be my number 1 choice of places to live. I beleive we have pretty decent schools here. I know Garfield High School is doing something right with their jazz band (even though they get all of the best high school jazz players in seattle, damm bussing! :D )

If you hurry up, you can check out bumbershoot, plus performances by: etta james, mingus big band, taj mahal, elvin jones, and mccoy tyner.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Eric,

I'm looking at Portland also. Most of the potential job offers just seem to be coming from the Seattle area. The Pacific Northwest was on the top of my list when I moved to Denver back in '91. I was catching all kinds of grief just trying to convince my wife to leave the south so I figured that it would be harder to get her to commit to going all the way out west. It's funny. Now she's the main person that's interested in the possible move! :D

I can deal with rain. I've been in Denver for 11 years now and the lack of rain is the talk here. Dry climate.

The problem with Denver is that they kind of had most of their eggs in very few baskets. The telecommunications companies employ thousands of people. One company that I worked for had over 6,000 employees locally at one time. That pattern is similar with the other telecom companies in this area. When all of the troubles started in that industry the layoffs started. :(

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    My wife's situation is moving a little faster than mine but I'm trying to see if we can work it out. I tell you what. After growing up about an hour north of the Gulf of Mexico, it sure would be nice to have access to some good seafood again. I don't do Rocky Mountain Oysters! :D

10. Portland... They don't call it Puddle Town for nothing.. I lived in Portland for almost two years. I loved the music scene there plus it's just a great city. The first year I was there it rained over a hundred inches that winter...Being born and raised in San diego , I couldn't take it anymore.

11. ::Grumbles like an 80 year old native::

Damn, Californians, gotta get them to go back where they came from.

:D

Portland is a great place to stay, as long as you like a damper climate. In reality, it only really rains/gets cloudy during the winter months, meaning October to April. The rest is usually pretty warm and sunny. The economy is pretty good, and housing is fairly cheap, as long as you don't go into Beaverton or Gresham. If you head south to Milwaukie or Oregon City it's DAMN cheap, like around $125k for a 3 bedroom, 1 and 3/4 bath on 1/8 of an acre.:eek: That's what we payed for our house, and it's in a fairly upper-class neighborhood. (Tonya Harding used to live down the street, and various Trail Blazers have lived in the area.)

The schools, especially in my district, are quite good, with good teachers and excellent cirriculums. Shopping is fairly open, as long as you stay away from down town, but I think you already have that figured out.

The music scene is very diverse and enthusiastic, but doesn't seem to get the press of places like Seattle or San Fran. Even though we put out bands like the Kingsmen, Everclear and Craving Theo.

Best bet, come on over and scope the place out. I'm sure you can find some little place in either Washington or Oregon that will suit you fancy.

Oh, and Oregon has no sales tax. Pretty nice, huhn? And no self-serve pumps, just pull up and pay the attendant.:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    In oregon you have to pay someone to pump your gas, they don't trust people to pump their own gas without spilling it all over the place! The attendant just pumps your gas and takes your money, so it isn't "Full" service.

Also, if you are a smoker, you may want to reconsider coming to washington. I'm pretty sure Washington has some of the US's highest tobbacco taxes. IIRC, a pack of cigarettes costs around $5-6.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm not a smoker and I actually like a little moisture weather-wise. No sales tax would work for me also. I just hope that the job offers continue from that region.

14. That's why there are 2 lanes: Full Service, with windsheild washing, checking oil, etc; and Mini Service, which is just "pump-and-go."

Rock on
    Eric

15. Eric... Yeh! whats the deal with people from Oregon hating people from California so much? When I first moved there my Truck was broken into three times, then it was stolen.. I got it back and as soon as I changed the license plates it all stopped. I am a hardcore surfer so I would go over to the coast a lot (Oceanside, Pacific City, Otter rock, the point at Seaside), I had some really scary episodes where I almost had the s#!t beaten out of me just because I had California plates..... I thought it was kind of weird because most of the people I knew were not originally form Oregon, but they had the same attitude about us Californians. We down here don't give Oregonians grief when they invade our lovely mild winters.... I worked for a company that built the Trail Blazer stadium.. I rented a house near NE 22nd and Tillamook it was a nice neighborhood. I think my rent was $950. for a three bedroom house. but this was 7 years a ago. I go back up there to visit friends from time to time..Portland just keeps growing ,it will be another seattle in a couple of years..

16. Most of the reason that Us Oregonian's hate the Calis is that a whole mess of them moved about 5 years ago, and drastically chagned the socio-economic structure of Portland. This is also known as the story of the Pearl District.

The "Pearl" district was originally known as Brewersville, beacause that area was dedicated mostly to the Blitz-Weinhardt brewery and a few other Micro brew places. This was an area of family-class wages and guys who had been working the same job for many years. Along comes 1995, a drop in houseing prices, a warm winter, and a whole hell of a lot of new Calis. For some reason, they think that the "Pearl" district is much to industrial, so a bunch of wealthy yuppies gang up and buy out the brewery. Weinhardts moves it some place else (the location eldues memory for the moment)

What to do with the old buildings? Well, why not apartments? With nice little Claifornian boutques? Problem with this: A big influx of new residents, both single and family, but with nothing but a few minimum wage jobs in the little stores. The econmoy of that part of Portland declines, and the rest of us become very resentful.

Now don't get me wrong, individually I like Californians. Mostly cause I don't hate people right after I have met them. It's when they come in in large groups and change things for the worse that I get a little steamed.

But getting robbed and pushed around like that isn't very cool. I'm sorry that happened.:(

Rock on
    Eric

17. Actually, didn't Blitz-Weinhard get bought out by one of the major beer companies like Miller. Once they were bought out, it was decided that it would be more economical to brew the beer somewhere else... I think it's brewed in Tumwater, Washington now.

18. Hey Charles!
    My best friend lived in Seattle for a few years after highschool. At first he liked it a great deal but then it got old fast. I've thought about moving to Portland myself but it seems as if there are fewer jobs out there than in Denver. Four friends of mine just moved to Providence, RI. and I think that would be my first choice right now. The cost of living is pretty cheap when compared to here.

Hate to see you go! :(
    We better get another get-together lined up before you leave! Where is Disp with those pictures? :mad: :D

Denver has been wearing thin on a great many people as of late. I can't say I blame you.

~Ad

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's not a done deal yet Ad but it's looking promising. Believe it or not, I'm seeing a lot more opportunities for the type of stuff that I do in Portland than I am here in Denver. And, Denver has more Telecom companies! What was utthat your friend couldn't take anymore? The weather?

20. Eric...Damn! That sounds like something Tanya Harding would say!!! I do understand that Oregon and Portland have had some tough growing pains. so why not blame it on all Californians...We blame all our economic woes on Mexicans...
    It could have been much worse.. They could have knocked down every old building in the Pearl District to build a Baseball Park.... like they did here in San Diego. I have many friends that lost their artist studio's to the much unwanted Ballpark project.. I think if I ever moved back to Oregon it would be in the Coo's Bay area...
    I see that you now have a couple of Guitar Center's in you area....Now thats something to get pissed off about...did those smaller guitar/music in old town shops survive?