What's up with the Eden WT-550's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric426, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I posted a WTB ad for an Eden WT-400 or possibly a WT-550 recently, and I've heard from 3 sellers who have "new in the box" WT-550's for sale. Is there anything about these amps that is causing people to unload them as soon as they get them, or is it just a strange coincidence? (Maybe they're all going for Aguilar AG 500's?)
    Some of the prices are tempting even without a warranty, which I'd be giving up since I wouldn't have an original bill of sale, but if there's an inherent problem with the 550's I'd sure like to know about it before I make a purchase.

2. Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just ordered one myself...
    So I want to know too!!!:(
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    A buddy has one of those NIB WT-550's he sent to me to try out. All I can say is I was totally unimpressed with the tone. Same goes for my buddy that selling his. Also have a buddy in NY that tried one out in a store and was unimpressed. The fact that you got so many responses should tell you something. You might want to try one out before you make your purchase.
  4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Are you unimpressed with the entire Eden line or just the 550? I ask because I think the 550 is a great head and sounds like all the other Eden amps. If you don't like Eden then I can see why you don't like the 550.
  5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Impressive not unimpressive! Mine runs 2 Berg 112's and has a nice warmish tone, plenty of headroom at 4 ohms, and incredible tonal flexibility. Let YOUR ears be the judge. Most people hear things slightly differently- some like Eden and some don't. The same can be said for SWR, GK, Ampeg, EA, or whatever you like. What's the bass? How are the cabinets placed? All can be a factor. I can assure you that I love my 550 and would be hard pressed to part with it.:)
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i'm curious to know, too.
  7. The only thing I don't like about my WT550 is the light weight, if it weighed about 40lbs I would get a better upper body work out loading and un-loading. Seriously, try out several amps before you buy, if one amp was everyhing to everybody, there would only be one amp available.

8. Telling him to make his own decision doesn't answer his question. His tone preference is irrelevant here. He wants to know why other people are unloading brand new Eden heads.

Is there some sort of hidden factory discount system? Are they stolen? Is there a problem with the design? Those are the questions being asked.
  9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    As far as durability goes, I have personally sold several of these amps and have never had any come back or heard any complaints. I can say that about the entire Eden line.

What annoys me about a lot of my customers and probably bass players in general is there laziness to learn how to EQ. Eden as well as some other amps out there have a very versatile EQ section that takes a little research to learn how to get the most out of its abilities. It's very easy to make a good bass sound bad with these amps. Folks don't seem very interested in learning what frequencies are best to boost or cut to shape the tone to there liking. They would rather have a simple 3 knob amp that just says Bass, Mids, and Treble: boost the bass and treble, cut the mids. On the surface there's nothing wrong with that either but it just seems a little half-assed to me. This may have nothing to do with this thread but who knows... it might.
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I love my bass, middle, and treble on my Bassman 135 head, but i'd rather have a hi-mid and lo-mid as well as a presence control, but I guess I can't have everything. :meh:

On a side note, your name is the same as spiderman's. That just came to my mind when I saw your name. :p
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No problems with my wt-550 what so ever. I really like the tone.

I'd be interested in knowing why these guys are selling too. It could be that they don't care for the tone. Different strokes for different folks, as we used to say in the 1970s. Which is fine. if we all had the same tastes, we'd all end up buying the same head and cabs.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're right, Eden does have a very versatile and powerful EQ section. However, it's pretty easy to get great tone. Set everything flat, then adjust the enhance 'til it's close. Then add or subtract just a touch of whatever suits your fancy. If you're not between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (or 11 and 1 if you're like me) on all of the tone knobs, you might as well start turning up the "suck" knob, 'cause that's where you're headed.
  13. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    just a thought ....but maybe they're unloading them in anticipation of the 2004 model....the one with the "promised" mute switch
  14. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Maybe that's the problem--it's TOO easy. If you're a compulsive knob-twiddler and start horkin' on 'em, it's gonna sound like poo. "My sound is in here somewhere..." Yeah, dude--probably with the EQ flat, or close to it. Where's the fun in that though? :rolleyes:

Maybe if Eden placed the EQ knobs in the shape of a smiley face...;)
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Nothing is wrong with the amps, no inherent tonal problems (other than the ears of those that just don't care for the sound of 'em), not a single issue with reliability (and I've sold a TON of 'em).

Mine has taken first place at my gigs & rehearsals over my Demeter HBP-1/Eden WT-1000 rig. I love the thing, fat & punchy tone, easy to adjust to whatever room I'm in, and it only weighs 18 lbs. I'm keepin' the big rig for big stages, but for most of my stuff the WT-550 is gonna be doing the job.
  16. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Well, no one pointed out any design flaws or defects, reliability problems, or tendencies to erupt in flames and smoke, which is really what I was wondering about.
    Personally, if the WT-550 sounds like other Eden amps I'll be very happy. I've had a couple of lower powered Eden amps and I thought they sounded good. Now I've learned more about EQ use with basses and should be able to get the sound I want, without getting caught in a "tweaking loop". Some like the Eden sound, some don't. That doesn't mean that they suck any more or less than any other brand sucks or doesn't suck. I just wanted to know if I should avoid that particular model.
    I just sent payment for a "new in box" WT-550 to someone from whom I've bought gear before. He bought his to use until his Walter Woods amp was ready, which arrived sooner than expected. I trust him, he gave me a great deal, and I feel confident in the purchase. I appreciate the responses from the WT-550 owners who shared their first hand experiences with them.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't think you'll be bummin'.
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that's the earlier WT300 you're referring to. ;) :p

but seriously, didnt people have problems with it overheating and whatnot, then didnt Dave address that by introducing the WT300B or WT400??? or something like that? if anything, at least Dave's quick to improve his line.
  19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have a navigator pre I run 1200 watts off of, through a 410 XLT. A LOT of knobs on this sucker, I actually even had to have a buddy explain to me how everyhing works. Most basses? Set the enhance, dial EQ flat, and leave it. I find with different basses I might adjust within Munji's 11-1 settings, but never more.

Eden seems to have a VERY sensitive EQ. It is beyone me how anyone could ever want, or use max treble or bass on this, or a cab designed to handle it.