Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats up with the mesa big block??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Feb 19, 2006.

1. i see as usual with mesa boogie, they are not discounted at the retail level, but if you buy one of these big blocks used you can grab em for 7-800 $ usd.
    whats up wit dat?
    are they junk?
    ive got a 400+ and 2 boogie buster combos and theyre fine, i like them. ive also got a slew of diesel cabs.
    i relizze the tone thing is subjective, but 800$ worth in 6 mos or less???
    you folk got any input on these??

2. I was not impressed with the Big Block. Looks like you already own some of the best stuff Boogie has made.

3. As I see it All everyone sees is that the big block puts out 750 watts but they fail to notice that, that is @2 ohms While the M-pulse 600 puts out 600 watts@4 ohms. So they buy the big block run it @ 4 ohms and are dissapointed because they are only getting 350 watts. Mesa is very deceptive with their specs. I have an M-2000 And a 400+ also a diesel 215 cab they are great amps.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I tried it once for a little while, I didn't like it

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I borrowed one for a weekend. A Peavey Firebass will eat that thing for lunch. :meh:

6. isnt a firebss rated 700 watts @ 2ohms

7. Firebass 275w@8 Ohms
    450W@4ohms
    700w@2ohms

But the big block is only rated at 350 w@4Ohms
    750w@2 ohms

I like Mesa the tone the quality but I believe the FireBassII would kill the big block from a loudness point of view. Anything else is a matter of personal preference,

8. +1 on the comments above... the BB is underpowered into a 4ohm load.

9. Correction: Big Block 750 is 550W into 4 Ohms, as per specs on Mesa Boogie website

10. the big block is quite loud on a 4 ohm load..I owned an m-pulse 600 before I bought my bb..I noticed no volume difference between the 2 amps on a 4 ohm load.in fact I thought the bb sounded louder and "thicker" than the 600.I got the bb because it's more of a plug-n-play amp without the bells and whistles I did'nt need. I also think it sounds closer to a tube amp sound,as opposed to the more refined sound of the 600..the bb just appealed to me more. I don't get lost in any mix, ever..and I use it with a 4 ohm,15" scout cab..makes for a very compact lightweight rig,and I still have room for another cab(which I never needed yet)..I have ran it with 2 scouts before and it was awsome..