Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's up with the peavey cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, May 18, 2002.

1. was going to get a mesa boogie. saw and played a peavey 4x10, the new ones. sounded amazing. and it was cheap compared to the mesa. but i'm worried because it's peavey and i need to know how long it will last. should i get the mesa, or will the peavey do just fine. please help.

2. As a point of interest, quite some years ago Bass Player magazine did a shootout of 4x10's and concluded that the best were SWR and Eden. Their next best was Peavey, which they felt was the best value for money cab. They did'nt give the Mesa cab a very good score, saying it lacked bottom. I realise that all the cab manufacturers have upgraded since then, and there are many around now that were'nt around then, but I think the Peavey is still a front-runner.

3. I tried both the 410TVX and 210TVX and I think they're fine cabs. They're not quite so nice sounding as my Eden, but if I couldn't afford Eden I'd go with the Peavey's in a heartbeat.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think you'd have ANY problem with the peavey holding up. Also it has a 5 year warrenty I believe. Just make sure it is loud enough for you. They don't have very high RMS ratings. Sound good though.

5. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Peavey makes some of the most reliable equipment.

You know the old saying,

....never buy a Peavey...they last forever.

:)

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i actually COULD afford eden and SWR and went with a peavey 4x10. The thing is heavy as hell though. SO to counter that i am getting an aggie 1x12.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    How much do the pro 4x10s (peavey) cost where you guys are? Here they are more expensive than Swr, or ampeg!!!

%^&*ing monopoly!

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Pro 410s ain't cheap Chis. From what I've heard about them thus far, they might be better than SWR and Ampeg. My Peavey dealers are slippin' so i don't know when I'll get the chance to try them.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I know they are expensive, but they are alot more expensive in mid-missouri than anywhere else. All the peavey dealers in a 100 mile radius are owned by the same guy, and they all fix prices so there is no competition unless you go to St. Louis or Kansas city.

Anyways......

I've tried the Pro 4x10 and really like it. If it weren't for the low power rating I might have bought one. It sounds a lot more defined than older peaveys and cuts a little better. It has a nice VERY hifi sound. Would probably work great with a BAM head, except you wouldn't be able to hear it. Only other downside is it doesn't have a lot of low end. It has enough but can't really thump. I like it head and shoulders above ampeg (including the Pro series), hartke, and GK. However I personally liked the SWR Goliath 3 a little better, because it sounds similar but with 700watts RMS, and more low end. Its pretty subjective though.

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Dont let the name fool you.. Its just a bunch of meaningless letters anyway. If you think it sounded better, then by all means get it! I am a huge peavey fan, and if it helps, there are still peavy amps from the 70's being played and sold everyday, that will probably outlast some of the new stuff out now....

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for the update Chris. I keep hearing about how nice they are but none of the Peavey dealers in my area stock them yet. Maybe I'll get to try them soon.

You're right about sound being subjective. I actually think that the Goliaths lack low end! :) Another thing, I thought that the Pro 410 was rated at 700 watts RMS? I just visited the Peavey forum today and there was some talk about that.

EDIT: Check the back of the cab Chris. I think that it says 700 watts continuous and 1400 watts program on the Pro 410.

12. Peavey stuff is bulletproof, I'm playing through a peavey head and cab that are 20+ years old, no complaints here.
    Chris, I'm in southeast MO and I looked at a new 4x10 peavey cab a couple of weeks ago and if I'm not mistaken the price tag was very reasonable. Maybe it wasn't the exact same cab you are looking at, I don't know, but it was significantly cheaper than a goliath lll.

13. I just tried out a new 2X10 at a small gig... it sounded great, worked fine all the way down to my B string. I'd have bought except for two things... it only comes 4-ohms, and it weighs 63lbs.

In the end I got a 1x12... but if your back is in better shape than mine I'd go for it. Peavey is definately getting better again... better cabs, amps and basses... :D

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    No really it is... the cones are kevlar impregnated. so yeah they are bullet proof

15. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just went to peavey's site and it says it is 700 watts program . That means its half that RMS right? So 350watts rms. Goliath is 700RMS, Ampeg PR410HLF is 1200Rms.

Pro 4x10

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Chris,

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, that's possibly a discrepancy with information on the Peavey site. There's actually a thread on the Peavey forum dealing with that issue. It's entitled "Pro 410" and it's on the bass amps board. One person there actually checked the back of the Pro 410 and it stated that it was rated at 700 watts continous and 1400 watts program. a lot of stuff on the Peavey site has been messed up since they changed it. I think that the information that you saw on the site is probably inaccurate.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Here's what this individual was questioning:

No one from Peavey has responded yet but did you notice what the guy says that he saw on the back of the cab?

18. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Your right ebozz. I went and checked at the store, and it says 700RMS on the 4x10. The 2x10 is 350.

I was there trying out preamps, and I actually got to test the cabs without my BAM playing to. I only tried the 2x10. I must say it sounded VERY good! It was hard to hear it over the Bam before but on its own I'd easily put it up with SWR and Ampeg. It souded really fat & deep with my kosmos, but still maintained great clarity. Now I'm going to have to find a store that has both peavey and swr so I can A/B it with a goliath and see which I like better. I still think I like the goliath a little better, but its really close.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Chris,

I don't know if I would trust much of anything on Peavey's site right now! :D I like the changes that they have made to it but when they put it back together again they left out a lot of stuff. Man, I jusy hope that I get a chance to try some of their new gear out soon. The dealers in mya area are slackers!

20. Ah but a small enough hardened steel projectile will penetrate even kevlar, so I guess the correct term would be mostly bullet proof.