Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with the Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Jul 4, 2002.

1. I have a Stingray 5 that I got new from GC last year. I haven't had to even touch the truss rod...until now. How does that thing at the bottom of the fingerboard work. Should I just take it to GC and get it set up? Also it seems that my B-string is kind of loose, is it because of the bowing of the neck? Tell me what ya think. Thanks
    Laura

2. Well, without seeing the bass, I'd guess that it's developed a little bit of backbow (not enough relief in the neck). A quarter- to half-turn on the truss rod adjuster would probably fix it.

First, though, you want to check and be sure that the relief really is the problem. The way to do this is to fret the string at about the 1st fret and the 14th fret at the same time, then check and see now much space there is between the string and the 7th fret. It's sort of a matter of taste, but the general rule of thumb is that the space there should be about the thickness of a business card.

If there's not enough relief (not enough space), then the truss rod needs to be loosened a little bit. Generally, that means turning adjuster on the truss rod counter-clockwise, as you look at the end of the neck with the adjuster on it. I believe the new Musicman adjuster is a little wheel with holes in it--you should be able to just put something straight (a little screwdriver?) through the holes to turn the wheel. The bass may have even come with a tool. Only turn it 1/8 or so of a turn at a time, then check the relief. I was hoping to find instructiosn on the Ernie Ball site that I could point you to, but no such luck :(

Anyway, it's not really all that hard, but you do have to be careful and not make too big of adjustment, or try and "force" anything. Good luck!

Mike

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a Stingray 5 that I got new from GC last year. I haven't had to even touch the truss rod...until now. How does that thing at the bottom of the fingerboard work. Should I just take it to GC and get it set up? Also it seems that my B-string is kind of loose, is it because of the bowing of the neck? Tell me what ya think. Thanks
    Laura
    Hello Laura the SR5 has a pretty descent B,you have to check the string gauge,Brand,and height of the string from fingerboard,as far as adjusting the action if theres a round disk at the end of the fingerboard with small holes in it( I have a 92 ST5 like this)simply place a proper size allen wrench in one of the holes and turn it away from you to raise the action and towards you to lower the action and you can lower the saddles on your bridge as well to help you with your desired action.