1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's up with the sudden Wal popularity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassic83, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I had a friend in SoCal back in the 80s who had one, killer sound, but killer on his back as well. In the past month or two, I've noticed a LOT more interest in these basses. Why all of a sudden is a bass that has been around 25 years or more getting so darn popular? :confused:

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Wal has stopped making instruments.

3. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    I guess they've been next to impossible to get for the last few years, and you wouldn't have any idea how long you'd wait for a new one. Wish I would have kept mine!

4. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    i really think its a select group of people who all want one badly, and another group of people specifically buying them as an investment. I cant see them getting much more expensive than they are now.

I think the investor types will be dissappointed when the price levels out in a couple months. they are a great bass, but they're not worth prices you're seeing now - aka: 5k for a mark 1 with a walnut top.

5. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    He hasnt stopped making instruments. He just stopped taking orders till this current batch is done.

After that he might quit but who knows, maybe he will get an apprentice and continue building. Only time will tell.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, as has been said, Wal are out of production. Pete has not said that the break in production is final, but it sure feels that way to a lot of people. Pete has had some trouble in the past few years, with health issues and losing the space that he was using to make Wal basses. With that, production first slowed, and now has ground to a halt. Likesay, the ast I heard from those who had spoken to Pete was that he was looking for a new space to set up a place to work.

Realizing that these basses might now be finite, the prices are shooting up and the demand is rocketing too. It's not just that they are brilliantly made and sound amazing, it's that people don't appreciate what they have until they discover it might be gone, so to speak.

Oh, this sucks, I want a Wal so much.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I can't speak for everyone, but a lot of my bass playin' buddies are into them because of Justin from Tool. Killer rock tone!!!

8. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I don't know. If more people are collecting them and more people are looking for them, I can see them continue to rise in price. With people, albeit very very few, spending 1/4 million on Les Pauls, I don't see why Wals couldn't get up to the 6-10k mark. I guess it will even out sooner or later, but for now, the sky's the limit.

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    What he said.

10. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't think its suddenly that they are popular. They have always been popular because of how many great bassists have used them. I have seen them used by Flea, Jason Newsted, Geddy, and Sir Paul and Justin from Tool to name just a few. I think they are getting a lot more expensive though, which is crazy when you consider that they were already one of the priciest instruments out there. Great tone and workmanship though.

11. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Pete had to move to relocate his shop (I think something about the building owners sold the building and Pete was renting a space), so he stopped making basses until he found a new shop.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well most of "that batch" order has been sitting there waiting for 3 years to be built, and now that he has no shop, who nows when he'll get around to building that 3yr old order. And Pete is not a young guy.

You can pretty much say there will be no more made.

13. Paul D'Amour used a Stingray, a Rickenbacker and an Ovation magnum.

14. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    They said the same thing in '93 when Fish went belly up.:bag:

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Do you know this for sure ?

16. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Oh really?
    How about the fact that nothing sounds like a Wal, or looks and feels like one, and that the chances are they are not going to be made anymore? How about those that own them don't want to sell them, and if they do they go for anywhere between $4000 and $7000?
    You mean all these factors won't drive the price up? These are handmade basses every inch of the way, not some factory Ibanez.
    My bet is the days of new Wals are over, and in the next couple of years prices will be insane. I'm betting on $8000 bt next Spring.

17. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    They already have. I saw a couple go for around $7k a few months ago.

18. Ahhhh. Thanks God I have secured one...

Wal.

:bag:

19. LookIt'sSteve17

LookIt'sSteve17

Oct 31, 2006
    Michigan
    He said Sir Paul... McCartney.

20. I'm really not that good at math, but isn't that two?