Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's up with the use of profanity?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed because I'm finding myself suddenly annoyed by the use of questionable language on this board. I guess I've been to enough other boards where people just get plain stupid that it's starting to bug me a little here. I always liked the idea that this was a completely safe place for children, and I would like it to stay that way.

I'm seeing more and more words slip by that I'm not too sure I'd want my kids uttering around the house - if I had kids, or a house. Scumbag, dick, prick, ball buster, getting dicked by someone.... those were just today. There's lots of others that are floating by lately it seems and I just thought I mention it before things start getting out of hand. It's interesting too, like little kids if someone posts such a word people seem to start repeating it throughout the threads.

Mr. Responsible for today has stated his peeeece.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that we Mods may have gotten a little lax in our enforcement of the profanity rules. Time to crack down a little. I have noticed a trend over the past few months myself.

Joe, by all means, if you see something against the rules, report it. That makes our job easier. Sometimes we miss things. Sometimes a thread may slip through the cracks. But if it gets reported, I can guarantee you it will get taken care of.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172660

Even moderators using terms like ball buster. It's not the biggest crime int he world, but come on. We can choose our words more thoughtfully. Balls = crude word for testicles. Ball buster - hmmm.... I don't know. If I called my father a ball buster I think he'd have smacked me way back in the day. Am I getting old?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What's up wth the language here? I have no ****ing idea.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The mods get lazy sometimes, but man, I've just had to deal with two different situations in OT that took all my time. That's why it's nice having jt and JMX to back me up, and they have me to back them up. Although, it was nice with Odie too. Having 4 mods in OT seems essential, but Odie was really good at it, so he made it easier on all of us.

Sometimes we're dealing with the big stuff, and it makes it more difficult to deal with the smaller stuff. But know that threads like this are helpful and appreciated because they remind us of what we need to be doing.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I noticed my language was getting a little bit... questionable lately, so I've either taken the time to go back and edit my posts, think as I'm writing for better words/phrases, or if I'm just throwing down a quick answer before class I censor myself a bit with -'s. I do agree with you though Joe. Maybe we need a language mod... I'd be willing to do it. :bag:. In all seriousness now though, this isn't really the mod's fault - they shouldn't have to worry about it, it is in the rules. Anyone caught repeadtly violating it should be warned then perhaps given a short/extended, all expenses paid trip away from TB. Of course, add IMO whever appropriate here.

Ray

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Is scumbag a profain term?

8. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    +1!!!!

That was F-ing hilarious!

They are just words after all.......

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    this stuff doesn't really offend me. I just think talkbass is such a nice site :hyper: i feel kinda protective of it. and hey - if you're not doing your job, somebody's got to. :)

10. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I was a moderator of a very large forum, actually a sr administrator when I took my break from it. It's a thankless job. So, I thank all the mods here for what they do here.

TB has something going here that deserves protecting. I have also noticed something in my short time here. Bass players are generally nice people. That seems odd to notice after a lifetime of playing music but I have never interacted with only bass players before. I think that's what's so special about this site, it's not filled with egotistical self centered types. I am sure I am not the only one to notice this.

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    i hope i'm not coming off in the wrong way here. i'm not saying the moderators are doing a bad job - in fact, i appreciate all yer diligience and the time you put into this site. i've noticed the language thing for a while, and quite honestly it's been from things I myself have posted that slipped by. howz that for irony. :) or is that hypocrisy? :) :) i think that thread with scumbag in the title just kinda threw me a bit because where and when i grew up that was real big no-no. saying scumbag was equivalent to saying the high and mighty 4 letter words. it's interesting to me that many people haven't even a clue what is means or where it came from and that some even think the meaning of "lowlife" was attached to it before it's original meaning. "pissed off" is another term that has become completely acceptable. that too wouldn't have flyed in the old catholic school days, now catholics wouldn't have a problem telling a nun that she pissed them off. i of course would say anything to a nun as they've said plenty to me that was unwarranted and pissed me off. see how it works.

i'm just a damaged child.

12. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    Not to mention certain pictures :eyebrow: that you have posted yourself which I wouldn't want any of my nieces to see. Which I find more offensive then saying scumbag; which until you brought it up I never thought anything one way or the other about.

But then blueish words don’t phase me or even catch my notice for the most part; I’m a third generation musician. :D

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good thread Joe. I am 33 now, and I feel old sometimes. The cussing, and scatology is irritating to me. I like to show my wife things here on TB, and my son. What concerns me sometimes is if they come check out TB when I am not around. I hope they don't stumble across some of the profanity I have seen lately.

I normally refrain from alerting mods as much as I should as I feel like a tattle tale. Plus, I feel like I am burdening them with all of these alerts to take care of. I'm sure the mods would like to come to TB and browse around like we do and then leave.

-Mike

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, we would.

And reporting posts helps us to do that.

It makes our jobs easier.

I help moderate the largest forum on the board.

If I take time to read every single new post in Basses, I spend more time on here than I should. I have a full time job, a family, am very active in church, and and have a band that plays pretty regular.

The more reporting people do, the more time I have to live my life.

And it affords me a little time to actually enjoy Talkbass, too.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alrighty. Every time I see something that violates forum rules, I am clicking the "!".

Many thanks to you Jeff, and the rest of the mods for making TB a family safe place. I'm serious, my family does surf TB with me sometimes. I must report though that after showing my wife a beautiful Nordstrand or Sadowsky, she still won't buy me one. :D

-Mike

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love the report button.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If I don't have sucks, how will I describe Nickleback next time they come up in a thread?

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    !

Click it and I'll guarantee we'll take action (if required).

But you can see the problem right? Everyone has a different threshold for what they consider "Profanity". So where to draw the line?

As a rough guide, if it's OK for Prime Time TV, then it's OK here. And all Profanities must be FULLY masked OK! Partially m***ed words are no good. They must be Fully ******.

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Prime TV where? I know we have different standards for what can be shown than in the US of A - case in point - we saw Janets right boob on every news station than night "unblurred" and close ups in each newspaper. Also, its not acceptedable to use low use swear words in "pg" (timeslots). etc.

You are better off having a blanket ban or not. (Im in favour of a blanket ban with a list of "non allowed" words).

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I think people should just use common sense. There's really no need to swear. People should think of it like this; if you want your kids running around saying it, then it's alright, if not, then don't post it. It's amazing what a bit of vocabulary and thinking-before-typing can achieve.

Ray