1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's up with the Zappa Family?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Apr 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Money does funny things. :atoz:

Matthew Barrack likes this.
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Even this article doesn't do justice to the long history of this travesty. Frank Zappa was by any standard one of the most brilliant and prolific composers of the 20th century, but virtually no one has been willing to perform his music since his death for fear of legal action by his estate. (Of course, it's worth noting that there aren't many bands who would be capable of playing his music if they wanted to!) Project/Object has been in constant battle with the estate since their inception, and Dweezil has been skating on thin ice himself. He's Frank's f****ing son, for Chrissakes. The whole thing is just really, really sad, and Frank must be rolling in his grave.

twocargar likes this.
  3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I hear that Gail won the trademark of Captain Beefheart's name in a lawsuit.

4. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    I bought VIP tickets to ZPZ and Dweezil's clinic a while back, but was *extremely* disappointed to find that it had been cancelled...as I walked up the steps to the venue carrying my bass. There was a sign posted on the door. What a drag.

We never really got an explanation as to what happened, and I now wonder if it was because these legal shenanigans were going on in the background.

Regardless of my personal inconvenience, it's extremely sad to see a family divided like this. I own both Z albums from the 90's and used to love watching Ahmet and Dweezil on talk shows and Happy Hour. I can't imagine my own family ever putting money ahead of each other. What an awful thing to happen.

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    We caught Zappa Plays Zappa twice. Great shows.
    Dweezil spent 2 years putting the band together.
    Money changes everything even in families.
    I'd fight it, it's BS.

twocargar and Matthew Barrack like this.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What a stupid mess. Gail actually made her son pay the trust to do Zappa Plays Zappa? I think the legal issue is that "Zappa" has been trademarked, that would explain why Dweezil Zappa plays the music of Frank Zappa is OK but Zappa plays Zappa is not. *** :confused:

Runs in the family...Beefheart's album "Bat Chain Puller" was only released after the Captain died. Zappa had bankrolled the sessions but when Beefheart got a deal with Warner Bros. whom Frank was in litigation with (read up on the saga of "Lather"), the album was shelved, Zappa refused to sell the tapes to Beeheart's management and the Captain had to rerecord the entire thing as "Shiny Beast". Knowing that it was a holy grail for Beefheart collectors based on low-quality bootlegs in circulation (you know, some fans insisted that the original versions were way better, etc.), Gail waited until Beefheart's death made it worth releasing. Wonder if Beefheart's widow has seen any money?

For those who aren't aware, this would not be the first time a musician has lost rights to his own name. Guitarist J. Geils left the J. Geils Band and now plays jazz. He has to call himself Jay Geils, he can't call himself J. Geils. Meanwhile the band has continued to play reunion tours without him. I'm sure there's other examples.

twocargar likes this.
  7. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    This is just too weird: Now you have a band touring under the name J. Geils Band which does not actually include J. Geils. Meanwhile, the aforementioned J. Geils has become Jay Geils. And his real name is John.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Harold Lloyd
    Buster Keaton
    Laurel and Hardy
    Charlie Chaplin

Guess which one's family kept real tight control over their work?

(Hint: The one you rarely, if ever, heard of.)

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Winoman likes this.
  9. Winoman, twocargar and Lobster11 like this.
  10. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Prince had to change his name to [​IMG]

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    twocargar likes this.
  12. I read that earlier today. Quite the response from Dweezil. Interesting that Moon and he got less than the other two kids.

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    ah, there's nothing like mixing business with family...

14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    That's really sad to read.

15. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Thanks for posting this.

(I would've just "liked" your post, but this was one of those situations where "like" clearly wasn't the right thing to say....)

16. Amargo

Amargo

Oct 4, 2006
    Teruel, Spain
    Creedence Clear Water Revival, which without Fogerty is nothing but a branch of old farts playing a bad joke. So sorry 'bout Dweezil.