Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's up with this 75 RI?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ApeIsHigh81, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
  2. I think the body is made of three pieces of ash. Just like the real thing!

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah, it is, but the specs state it to be a one piece!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    that's what mine looks like...

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Oh wow, nevermind then.

6. Don't believe everything you read, especially on ebay.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah because I'm quite the gullable one. It's been stated as a "solid ash" body on the Fender site, I took that as meaning one piece, as mine is.

8. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

I just looked at my American 75 RI with the Ash body/maple board and it looked to me like the body was made from one piece. I didn't notice any change in grain pattern like the one in question. It is one killer jazz bass, by the way.

John

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    What year is yours?

10. I'd be surprised if "solid" meant one-piece. Single piece bodies seem notoriously hard to get.

11. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

12. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks John. That's interesting, so far we have a '99 and an '03 with 1 piece bodies and 3-piecers scattered in-between.

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    My MIJ 75 RI is a one piece body. At least I think it is, no distiguishable changes in grain anyways...

edit: serial number starts with an S and has 6 numbers after. I THINK it's a '97, but am not sure...

peace
    johnny

14. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Does anyone know if there is any tonal difference between a one piece body and 2-3 piece bodies of the otherwise same bass. Is it more of an appearance issue or is there more to it?

John

15. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I think the wood grain direction has to do more with the tone then the pieces themselves. I've yet to see a Fender with one piece body, unless it was custom shop or Master Built.

Cheers

16. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    My previous jazz was a standard American, 3 piece natural ash body, string through. I jumped from that one straight to my Reissue, and when it arrived I noticed immediately how much more louder and resonant the RI is acoustically/unplugged(both DR lo-riders). Huge difference. The grain was also significantly tighter on the last one, and the bass also weighed about a pound and a half more. Pics for quick comparison:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    here are some pictures of 2 fenders 75ri jazzbass, one is a 019-0300(rosewood fingerboard, pearl inlay,white pickguard), the other is a 019-0302(maple fingerboard, black block inlay,black pickguard) of my 2 friends from Beijing,China

it's the 019-0300
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the owner, my friend cheer"hide" sun, a famous jazz bassplayer in beijing also played the bass in dizzy big band, both we are the webmasters of www.guitarchina.com :) here's dizzy big band's web link http://www.dizzy.org.tw/

and here's a 019-0302
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the owner, my friend ray"ninth" liu, a bassplayer of cream, blues and rock music, here's his band's web link http://www.all-treasure.com/

we all love this model very much, it has a punch and sweet tone. it's 3 pieces ash body and one piece maple neck. the pickups are both fender american vintage 70s single-coil jazz pickups. but i think the bridge isn't enough solid.i think if it take a bad ass ii bridge and a suit of sadowsky active electric circuit, it must be a perfect jazzbass between the trad-jazz and mordern fusion music.