What's up with this name changing fad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Can someone please explain to me why so many people want to change their names all of a sudden? I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm glad the name Les Claypool is available in case Les Claypool becomes a TalkBasser, but why bother? It seems that people think TalkBass is like AOL, where you can change your handle according to the phase of the moon. All I want to know is why people can't stick with one choice.

And just for the record, I don't know what Paul's opinion on the matter is. I'm just bringing it up because I spotted a trend and think it's worth talking about it.

2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Is "stuporous_funker" still available? [​IMG]
  3. Aww come on Will, you know you want to jump on the name change bandwagon ;)

but i dunno, if i were paul i'd probably get tired of having to change people's user handles alot.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well now that you mentioned it... WAITAMINNIT!!!

My point.

5. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think that we should beat people throughly for wanting to change their names.... that is if they try to do it more than once or are just butt pirates and have pissed a lot of people off.
  6. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I got dibs on lumperfunker.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I call dibs on "The Funkulator"!

Actually, I was wondering about that. I've seen some pretty questionable usernames that make me wonder (like BW said) if people thing they can just change it periodically. Which would tick me off if I was a admin. lik paul...
  8. If I would change it, I would have to go with the very stander Brian Sanders for my user name. But I picked what I picked and now Im stuck. Its not worth Paul's time to change my user name cause Im bored of it. He has better things to do, like no changing user names!
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Let's not forget that there is a certain someone who has changed his name twice. And this was before the "fad".
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As long as your current name isn't something obnoxiously complex to type, or, something that could be confused with another username, (there was a "rickbass" here briefly), what the hell? I think the only one who gives a tinker's damn about the name is the person it belongs to.

I didn't realize there was a rule about not being able to change your username when I first came on TB. But it's such a non-issue to me, like worrying more about the name on the bass rather than if it sounds great or not. The content of your posts is what matters.
  12. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Like criminals, these chameleons should have to keep their old names trailing after them, following AKA: funkmonster AKA manilowlover AKA britneyhot AKA mebassplayeryoujane.

That way, we'd know who we were dealing with.
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've got dibs on "Ed Fuqua." ;)
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If that person with crested radish ever leaves, I call that name!
  15. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon

Cracked me up! :D

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just cut and paste. You think I'm going to type "ooOOooOOo"?

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sorry. I just changed mine from RL311 to my real name cause, well, I really don't know.

*hides head in shame*
  18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sorry, Big Wheel. I've been giving serious consideration to changing my name because it has repeatedly caused confusion. A few other names have occurred to me that I would like, but I guess inertia more than anything keeps me from making the change.

I thought a name change might trip up regulars here, but I checked about a week ago and there are only about twenty-plus posters with 1000 or more posts. All the rest are newer and they probably don't have a lot of name recognition for Jason Oldsted anyway. Also, keeping the same icon might ease the transition to a newer name.

"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet?" W. Shakespeare
  19. I got shotgun on changing my name to Drummer Assassin.

But Merlin is cool, its a name whereby ppl are intrigued, talk to me and wonder why!. now its "oh merls is on, hmmm"

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    And who was that?