1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats up with this precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Let It Fall, May 4, 2010.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I few months back. About 4 actually, I built a precision bass. I used a squire body that I painted, a nice neck [cant remember the brand] maple, 62 ri pickups and bridge and MIM electronics.

Problem is there just isn't something right about the tone..

1 First I found the volume was always went from little increase to massive increase in the last 1/4 turn

2 I always found the tone knob to never really take out much highs. I mean it works its just like it doesn't give me a very smooth sound.

3 I have a slight Buzz I found

4 It sounds tinny all the time yet overly bassy other times..

It sounds as though there is no mids almost. When I giged with it I really couldn't hear my self as much as I just felt it. Yet alone you get a good bit of treble.

Im sure It could be alot of things probably with my bad wiring. But does anything sound familiar, anything i SHOULD check?

2. Sounds like you might need either different pots/cap or different pickups or both. The volume jump is usually from using either cheap pots or the wrong type...500 vs. 250..etc.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If you're using audio (log) volume pots, try linear. If you're using linear pots, try log.

For the tone thing, try a cap with a larger value. People here use .1 when looking for a deeper tone.

For the buzz, shielding the bass is a good start. Squire basses are probably not shielded at all.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    You should check every solder joint. It needs to be shiny, not dull. If the wires moved at all while the solder was cooling, you could have a poor connection.