1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats ur opinions on BC Rich basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PrimusNut, Mar 23, 2006.

1. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    i have heard a lot of bad things about BC Rich. there is a nice, steel-blue color, platinum version warlock at a music store near me and i was thinking about buying it, but with all the bas stuff i heard, i am having second thoughts. figured id ask some pros.

2. Turkey3202003

Turkey3202003

Mar 9, 2006
    yea bc rich is more about looks than quality when it comes to playing so i would suggest u save the money and buy something better bc some of the uglist basses are sometrimes the best sounding ones

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    IMHO, unless it's a USA made Rich, I wouldn't touch it. Now the older NJ series aren't bad, but definitely stay away from cheap Riches.

4. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    ok thats what i thought, my original plan was to buy a Fender anyway :)

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Opinion? OK then.

The new ones mostly look like castoffs from the prop shed of "Rocky Horror Picture Show", or "Addams Family". But I suppose they fit some bands 'attitude'.

I have a beautiful American made "Eagle" with EMG pickups. I stopped playing it in favor of a 4001. The active EMG's were very good, but I had trouble dialing in a good upper register sound. Very punchy and clear, but brittle sounding. So the Eagle sits... its the bass in the basement.

6. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    The new ones are pretty good. just stay away from anything lower than an NJ series. the Platinum ones are OK & the Bronze are Sh*t. but... if u loike the feel of it... play your heart out :D

7. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    My brother has a Platinum Series Mockingbird guitar and it's pretty good. The pickups in it kinda suck (a little TOO metal sounding, so he's gonna change them) but other than that it's a nice guitar that plays well. It is kinda heavy, though.

I did play a Mockingbird bass one time (with the dual P pickups) and it sounded HUGE. I don't think I liked it enough to ever buy one though.

8. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    :hyper: I like my nj mockingbird nice flame maple top not the best balanced but it just has something that I like my 2cents worth

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Had an '84 Warlock that was quality. Woulda kept it if I didn't keep poking myself with it. Sounded great, played great, just kept poking me in wierd places.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I own three NJ series BC Rich basses. An 80's Virgin, a '90 Innovator, and a newer Mockingbird. The playability of all three is excellent. The Mockingbird and Virgin won't work for everyone though as they both neckdive. It doesn't bother me as I came up with a fix for the Virgin and how my arm rest on the MB I don't notice the neckdive.

The Innovator I have had for 16 years and love it. It was my main bass for 15 of those years and might resume that duty when it's restoration is finished. The only problem I have had with it during that time was the D string tuner stripped out. That was about two years ago.

I don't get where people say BCR's are all looks and no tone. :confused: My Innovator has a very traditional P bass tone that I can use anywhere. The Virgin is more hi-fi as it has EMG's running at 18v but again, it works well in most genres. The Mockinbird, IMO, is just the cat's meow. It has a nice full sound with a growl that just purrs. It is one of the sweetest sounding basses I have ever had the pleasure to play.

As some have mentioned, the Bronze series suck big time. Avoid them at all cost! The Platinums are definately a step up but I still don't care for them. Most of their hardware and electronics are cheap but if you want a bass to customize, why not. The NJ's are the only import models I will buy. The old USA models are top quality but are getting rather pricey nowadays and the new Custom Shop BCR basses are just way overpriced IMO.

In conclussion, some are excellent and some suck. If you like the look and it sounds good to you, go for it. If not, move along. Good luck.

11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think a lot of people buy them just for looks. I had to convince a friend not to spend £500 on a NJ series for his first bass.

couldent get him off the idea of black basses though, so he eventually got a goth thunderbird

12. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Their custom shop USA stuff is very good. The other stuff is junk. I have seen a few decent NJ series, but not too many. Go with something else. Remember the order of bass buying. SOUND, PLAYABILITY, BUDGET (VALUE), LOOKS. If looks aren't last on your list you are going to be very sad many, many times in your life and waste a ton of money. Just experience talking here.

13. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
  14. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well being as outrageous looking as they are, BC Rich pretty much has the market for such things all to itself, and there is a market for them. You'd be surprised how many kids buy instruments just for the look of them. Some of these local bands I see sound like crap but they "look cool" so they're happy. They really don't care at all how they sound.

If they can put cheap components on a bass and people still buy them, BC Rich still makes money, it's the same with the Squier line really. Not exactly the same philosophy I would follow if I was making guitars and basses for a living, but it works for them I guess. Every once in a while a good one can be found of the cheaper lines though. The neck dive and weight of all the ones I've tried keeps me from buying one though.

15. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    That price is way out of line for one in that condition. I have been following BCR price trends for years now and this one is just way off. The guy is definately smoking something! To add more evidence the dude is on crack, that is an Eagle bass, not a Seagull or Seagull II. :rollno: This is a Seagull guitar:

[​IMG]

This is a Seagull II body:
    bcseagull22.
    Notice the different body shapes compared to the one in the Ebay add?

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You may be right, it is certainly shaped like an Eagle, but I have never seen an Eagle with those type pickups. IIRC, the Seagull became the Eagle.

17. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    True, the Seagull II did kind of evolve into the Eagle but they are different models. Notice the upper horn of both models and you can see the difference:

ac_1.

On the pups, from what I understand they were available on BCR's and were some of the first Bartolini's.

NEWS FLASH: I guess I'm the one who is crazy as that bass just sold for $3250! :eek:

18. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

I still want a bc rich painted like this back in the good ol hair metal days!

Attached Files:

19. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    The vintage US BCR basses are great. But the prices have been trending up a lot, and these days you have to battle the "interior decorators" to get your hands on one. :rolleyes: Too much hassle just to get a good sounding and good playing bass.

+1 that the new US "custom shop" builds are way overpriced. And BCR won't tell you where they're built, or by who. Rumors abound...

Don't waste your time on the Bronze or Platinum models either. If you're looking at an import model, the recent NJ models don't suck. But I certainly wouldn't mistake one for a pro quality instrument.

However I still liked the NJ enough to pre-order one of the new NT series. Which will be the same as the NJ, except for the 5-piece maple/ebony neck through build. I'm expecting it to be a major improvement over the discontinued NJ series, about on par with a MIK Schecter neck through. I'll let you know when it gets here.

Re the Bodine bass on ebay, here's what Neal had to say about it -

20. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm, I haven't heard about the demise of the NJ series. Got a link or anything so I can read about it?

As for Neal's comment...:D