Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats with all the SVT's ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Feb 12, 2006.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    I see that there quite a few different SVT's offered by Ampeg.
    I see Svt 2,svt 3,svt 4.svt 5. svt cl,svt 350,svt 15T.
    I have no idea what any of this stuff is or why it there.
    I allways thought that SVT ment 300watts RMS ,900 watts peak and 90lbs.
    Using the original as a benchmark (because thats all I know)
    what are all these variations and how do they compaire to the original as far as wattage and raw power.
    Has there been ANY solid state amps that can put out the power that a SVT can?
    Bill

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    www.ampeg.com seems like a good place to start answering your questions.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    They are all different. They have different preamps and different wattages. They sound different.
    Dunno where that came from. The origional SVT was 300 watts all tube.
    They sound different. Nothing today sounds like the origional, save maybe the new one coming out soon. Some are more powerful. The CL has the same amount of power, the 4-Pro is about as powerful if taken full advantage of. Some are less powerful, like the 3-Pro. I'm not familiar with the specs on the other heads.
    Anything above about 1200 watts SS will sound as powerful or more powerful than a SVT.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ampeg knows that those three letters when put in that order sell amps right quick.

So, yeah they may not be 'SVT's in the traditional sense, they are in the marketing sense.