Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats with ALL those ad threads?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brewer9, May 1, 2001.

1. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    How come some advertiser gummed up this board with a gazillion threads about bass accessories? If they want exposure they should pay for real ads on TalkBass, by messing up the board they make me angry at them rather than interested in their products.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Did you notice it was for double bass accessories, brewer? I just let it go because I didn't think every page was supposed to be 3/4's ads for that place and that Paul or somebody with the whammy key would take care of it.

Or, even worse, this lame ass, 7 month-old piece of junk, HP PC with its pathetic Windows Me .

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah it is DB accessories. Even MORE useless than I first thought!

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would guess that they are a forum sponsor, as the id is FORUM SPONSOR. Since they're all closed with no comments, I would guess that they're sanctioned. Since they're sponsors, I would guess that they're helping pay for this site. Since it has a userid, I would guess that you can put them on "ignore" if you want. But, is it really necessary to start a thread about them?

5. rickbass

That's why I didn't report anything, jazzbo. Would be a real embarassment to do that to someone trying to help the site.

6. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Obviously you're being sarcastic and I'm a very reasonable person, so I'll answer your question that, no it is not necessary to start a thread on it. How's that?

I just thought it was highly annoying to get a break at work, go to TalkBass, click the "posts since last visit" button, and then have 20 of the threads all be the exact same thing.

TalkBass has been very thoughful about the experience that we users feel about TalkBassing, and the advertiser should also know how their ad is being recieved.

So, no this isnt necessary, but then are any of our posts here really "necessary"?

7. rickbass

Really, look at the bandwidth wasted by people who haven't gotten it through their head to ignore a certain attention-starved person.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Only mine. :D :D :D

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    The ads are real, and I personally don't think that they're too much of a problem. Given the choice between the inconvienience of a few more ads, and the inconvienience of Talkbass closing down, I know what I'd pick.

10. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    It really isnt THAT big a deal for me. It was just sort of annoying.

I think real ads on TalkBass are excellent. They are in there place and can be of service to us when we are interested and they pay the bills. But the ads I'm bothered by were THREADS that showed up in mass-quantity. They appeared to be just like SPAM rather than a proper advertisement. I also noticed that very few people clicked on any of them, so they couldnt have been helpful for the advertiser either.

Just my opinion. I'll try to survive this horrendous experience despite how difficult it may be. I'm still having flashbacks, but hopefully me lobotomist can help me overcome it.