What's with basses these days?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Dec 5, 2002.

1. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    nevermind, this has gotten me into too much trouble. All because of my twisted self-destructive humor. I thought people would see the ironies and hypocrisies, but instead they called them contradictions and called me scum (paraphrased).

It's understandable, my humor is often too subtle and too pointless that it is mistaken for serious stupidity.

Of course as people read this, they may accuse me of "covering my tracks". So I basically dug my own grave. Again, I apologize for wasting everyone's time.
  2. Spraying on a skull and custom paint is less flashy than the raw wood?

No offense but just about everything you say in this thread you immediately follow up by contradicting yourself.

Why not more regular shapes like sg and les paul? Those are gibson shapes if you want one, order it from gibson or epiphone. Nuff said.

"I want my bass to look smooth, not shiny" yeah? cool would an oil finished wood do that? or would aluminum pickguard with chrome knobs do that?

Sounds to me like you want a flashy high contrast bass, but all your arguments say you want to keep it simple.

No offense, but your bucket does not hold much water.

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    SG and Les Paul don't fall under original and new to me.

To each his own.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    This has been brought up before, and quite frankly enough times! Both of my basses have figured wood tops. I think they are gorgeos. They sounds amazing, and look amazing too.

Everyone has their own opinion. But sometimes it is better kept to themselves.
  5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    ".... just about everything you say in this thread you immediately follow up by contradicting yourself."

I was thinking the same thing.

I enjoyed reading it though.

Nov 21, 2002
    cant we all just get along?
  7. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Same here :)

I kinda understand what you're saying...maybe if you didn't contradict yourself at the same time. But I kinda feel the exact opposite. I like the natural look. But the extraordinary natural look that's shaped like a butterfly is just a tad over the top for me.

Eh....everybody has their own individual tastes and style.

Just read my sig...
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are plenty of painted basses out there for people who don't like wood. But to get naked chicks and fuzzy dice, you have to have to customize it yourself. Or go back to the 1980's. There were lots of metal bands with basses and guitars like that.:)
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

10. well, basically, I have some flame maple topped instruments and some painted ones and some tints over non figured wood too, but only two things matter most to me about my basses:

1) How they feel when I play them

2) How they sound when I play them.

fin, end of story........

but that's just my opinion
  11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I'm going to guess you wrote this thread as a joke. Every time you stated something, you quickly said the opposite. The bass is a precision instument and in many cases a work of art!! Look at Alembic, Mtd, etc. We, as a group, obviously like nicely made pieces otherwise their wouldn't be talkbass and other forums open to discussion. As far as skulls and the like painted on our instruments go, I think Poison goes back on tour in the spring. I think Ratt is the opening act! Get with it!

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its funny you say that since the Cort Curbow isnt wood, but thats ok, it still sounds great!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The top is figured though!;)
  14. i agree. ya lousy kids, with yer music.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Figured luthite! Woohoo!:D
  16. reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I can't decide if I agree or disagree.

I'm sick of flamed maple just because there's so much of it out there (PRS). I still see one every now and then that I really like.

However, I lived through the '80s and I'm just so stinkin' sick of skulls and custom paint jobs. (Does Floyd Rose make a bass trem?-joke)

I think I'll go with a stained non-figured wood with clear coat and ride right down the middle of the issue.
  17. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    nice cat
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i laugh at this thread.

but i will say that, while i HATE paint/gloss finish on my basses, i don't really like the crazy burl or quilt stuff either. i like darker colored, oil finished natural basses with interesting grain but not anything flashy. like....afzelia. that's my perfect example. it has an interesting grain, color, and some cool figuring, but just enough so that you couldn't call it "plain"

but whatever, this thread is stupid. anyone who would say that airbrushed skulls is cooler than nice wood needs a kick in the junk and a free ride in the time warper to 1984.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I prefer a nice paintjob myself. Airbrushing is where it's at.