Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's with Fender lately?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Doctor, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    HA HA! Fooled you all! You all thought this was going to be another Fender bashing/bitching session.

The truth is, I'm floored. I have NEVER been much of a Fender fan, but there is this brand spanking new deluxe 5 at the local music shop, sunburst, mint green pickguard, alder body... man am I impressed. Feels SOOOOO nice to play. I simply can't get over it. I haven't plugged it in yet, but I don't care if sounds like poo, because that can be fixed. It just felt "right." Looks are absolutely stunning also. I think it might be "sleeker" in apearence... I have been having a look at all fender basses lately, and there is DEFFINITELY something more streamlined about the look. It also seems like they might be cleaning up their act with their range of amps as well. I have only ever heard bad stuff about their amps, but I was mildy impressed with their new 800 watt head. Man I can crap on sometimes. So what do you all think about Fender lately?

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I agree with you, the basses that Fender as been puting out are bitchin!!
    The MIA Deluxe is an awesome bass 4 or 5 string you should get it!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree man. For soem reason im drawn to MIA deluxes lately, but just deluxes. The slightly different body shape from the standards is great, and the active electronics , woot.

4. Trust me, the MIA Deluxes are pretty addictive. Run now while you still can. Or I see at least 2 in your future.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Fender has always made decent basses. Sometimes you just had to look a little harder to find 'em.

6. I just bought this one on Sunday.

[​IMG]

I'm so impressed with this thing! My Thumb bass is on ebay!

7. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Looks great. :bassist: I really wish Fender would offer wider necks at 3" at the last fret and wider 3/4" spacing on their 5 strings. I know the RB5 does. And I saw a Squire that did too. But why not their regular 5's? Sadowsky and Lakland do "fender spacing" on 5's. Why not FENDER ?? :confused: Geez! I think even more people would buy Fender fives including myself if they did. Many people like them as they are too and that's great, but it would be cool to have a "wide" version too without having to get an RB. :bassist:

8. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    The American made Jazz I played the other day was :bawl:

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Like Groovemonkey...I just got the 5 string version. Very nice bass. Great tone, playability and pretty darn good B string. GREAT PICKUPS AND PREAMP. I'm a happy fender 5er now.
    -B-

10. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I've got two American Series Fenders, a jazz and P. Both are phenominal basses. The quality is superb, hardware is as good as any, and both sound fantastic. They are addicting to play, and the feel and sound of the J & P are so different, it really is great to have one of each!

My only complaint: the jazz bass strap lugs came loose---I had to do the old toothpick and glue trick. Good so far. This is sort of common with Fenders, and I don't know why. There is no reason it should be, as none of my other basses have this happen.

11. A month ago i purchased an MIA deluxe Jazz...I thought I was gonna end up with a Musicman originally, but once i tried that MIA, i was addicted. Its tone is so superb, and it sounds great through just about any amp.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here's my new Fender DLX jazz

13. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    looks awsome...how does she growl?

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Sweet bass pyrohr. For some really odd reason I am really digging the new headstock shape. Not as "pointy" I guess in certain places. Oh, and thanks for the warning Indie86. I am already considering selling a TRB or 2. The one thing that still bugs the hell out of me is the wimpy little bent steel or brass or whatever it is bridge that comes on those things. Especially the 5. It seriouly looks like it will bend out of shape the instant you tune the damn thing. Oh well. I guess it all adds up to the Fender sound.

15. the Deluxes are string through body as well, no need to worry about bending the bridge, which btw is made of stainless steel.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The sound of this bass is hard to explain, a friend told me it sounds like a vintage jazz bass with a pre-amp. I would add that it is a very well mannered in it's tone range. Crank the treble and it is crystal clear, crank the bass knob and you get full bass without the boomyness. Some basses have those particular tones that you will never use, not this one! The only thing that makes this bass sound bad is the bassplayer!
    MIA dlx basses are like ginzu knives, you will be noticed!

17. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    They have an identical bass at the local shop, same color and all, and it's a dream to play as well. And it sounds great. I typically hate Fenders but that one is real sweet.
    Jake

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Huh? The neck on my 97 USA Jazz V feels the same as the Roscoe Becks I've tried. Nice and wide, same string spacing as the 4 string jazz bass.

19. tell me you're colorblind please... :eyebrow:
    Mint Green? with sunburst? :ninja:
    Oh well, interesting to say the least.

As for the latest additions to Fender's arsenal, I have to agree with you ... The latest (2004) Classic 60's are just SMOKIN' and the Deluxe editions have been improved on quite a bit. as far as the amps, dunno, Dont use fender amps.

20. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Well it says it's mint green on the website. It's a VERY faint mint fgreen. Apparently it's supposed to look "aged" or something. Either way I like it.