What's with Flanger pricing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 20, 2005.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sheesh, I've been looking to get a BF-2 for a while to replace my old one. Back when I sold them, you couldn't pay someone to take a BF-2 off your hands. How is it that when I barely sold mine for $35, you can't find one used for less than $60 shipped?

Someone finally tell the world that the BF-2 is the best pedal in the world? I can get a new BF-3 for a few bucks more.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Guyatone is damn good and preserves lows much better than the Boss. You can't beat a good old Bucket Brigade when it comes to modulations.
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I must admit, I have posted here a number of times saying that the BF-2 is one of the best pedals ever, and probably the weirdest-sounding box in Boss's lineup. The newer Boss digital flangers don't even come close. Aside from classic flanger sweeps, it does convincing chorus/phaser imitations, crazy ring-modulation-esque gonglike sounds and spooky reverb effects.

My "stealth" on-the-go FX rig is DigiTech Bass Synth Wah-->BF-2-->SansAmp BDDI. Not to brag, but I have seriously freaked out people (including experienced analog synth folks and electronica producers) with the sounds I've found in this little purple beast.

JazzAd--I've never had a problem with lows on the BF-2. It's one of the few modulation FX I've used that doesn't suck low end. There are 3 internal trimpots you can tweak to taste---maybe the innards on the BF-2 you tried were not in the most bass-appropriate setting.
  4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I lost my old Boss one, replaced it with a Fulltone ($$), which is great, but I do miss the Boss for sure. Fine pedal.
  5. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I would have to dissagree with you on this one. I have an older MXR flanger (the one with the hard wired power cord) that I wouldn't trade for a TRUCKLOAD of BF-2s or BF-3s. The MXR is the only Flanger I have ever heard that does'nt have that metallic-like clanky sound to it. It has a knob called "Manual" which changes the frequency band affected by the modulation. None of the other Flangers I have seen have this and I think it is the key to its great sound. All other Flangers sound overdone to me regardless of the settings.The MXR sounds very natural and suits Bass very well.
    But hey,we all have our preferred boxes.It would be a boring world if there were only one stompbox !
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, I'll give you the fact that the MXR sounds great, and I love 'em too, but I like my little purple flanger on my board. I'd love to have an MXR, but I wouldn't let it out of my studio. :)
  7. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    There's an old one in a guitar shop on my way home for around $45. I probably should, right.... ...if only to get it off my mind. I mean, it is Christmas right :)
  8. Well that's funny, cause the BF-2 has it! It was the first pedal I ever bought with Bass in mind as opposed to guitar.

One of the critiscims I've heard of the boss is that it's too subtle - which I partially understand - so it's interesting to hear that some people find that it's overcooked! Just goes to show ya the diversity of opinions 'round here!

But, flangers and phasers come in many flavours. I like my boss flanger, but a more slippery, less metalic sounding one like the MXR would be good to have as well. I also like my boss phaser, but it's one of those goopy, drippy kinds of phasers and I'd love to find one that's more like the jet-airplane-taking off sound!
  9. for my flanging, I use a DOD FX75C Stereo Flanger. It can pull off 46&2 as well as making weird robotic noises when cranked. Its a little on the subtle side,but I like it.
    With some distortion it can pull off a mean impersonation of the synth riff in Why Can't This Be Love.
  10. dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    $20 shipped off Ebay. Great little pedal.

11. julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    a little off topic but not to much:

what would you recommand BF-2 or BF-3 (stereo, pan...etc)?

12. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i picked my BF-2 up not so long ago for £40 uk pounds, thats $69.49, i love it i got rid of most of my pedals apart frm the BF-2, id recomend getting one if you want a flanger.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    BF-2 definately. Seems much warmer to me, while the BF-3 sounds quite mechanical.
  14. julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    thanks, will try to buy one somewhere...

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I actually have the "non-bass" version of this pedal and it has worked QUITE well for me. Both versions can be had for cheap and if the bass version is as good as the non-bass version, you'd do well to go for either.
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

All this flanger talk! You guys are terrible!

There's an old Ross one headed my way now. Only $66, so what the heck.
  17. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have 2 1980's Aria FL-10 Flangers best I've found can do really subtle and mad crazy also you can have 2 rate settings and switch between them, very cool if you can find them.
  18. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got a BF-3, and I actually like the slightly mechanical/synthy tone it gives. Plus, it can act like a tremolo pedal-two for the price of one! (Three if you include chorus)

I'd like to try a BF-2 somewhere though, it does sound great.

19. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    I'm lucky enough to live in a city with a guitar shop that always has a slew of new and used pedals, so I was able to audition a BF-2 and a BF-3 side by side, and the BF-2 sounded "better" than the BF-3. I bought the BF-3 though, because it had a greater variety of sounds (plus Tap Tempo. BF-2 doesn't have that, right?). I'd still like to pick up a BF-2. I just have to figure out how to justify having 2 flangers on my board. :meh:
  20. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Easy--it's Christmas! :cool:

Well, you could have one set mainly for chorus, or use the them set at different tempos for a quick then slow flange in a song, or have the BF-3 set for tremolo. There' some reasons, now go get the BF-2 :p