Whats with GC and Schecter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by srxplayer, Aug 9, 2004.

1. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Every time I go into a Guitar Center to try out a few basses some sales guy walks over and starts pushing a Schecter product. :confused:

I mean every time...It's" Hey Bra checking out some basses? You should check out this Schecter Yada Yada Yada... He will pull it off of the wall, plug it in and start jamming on it trying to sell me. I don't mean at the same store. This has happened at three different GC's.

I'll tell the guy I'm here to check a Fender American Jazz and they start in with more Schecter this Schecter that Yada Yada Yada.

They do this with Schecter guitars too. Happened to my friend this weekend. He went in to look at Telecasters and the guy starts ramming a Schecter down his throat.

Is there some kind of "spiff" from Schecter for the sales people or what? It's really Irritating. :rollno:
  2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    HAHA this has happened to me too I walked in the door and was heading to the bass section and this guy immediately jumped on me. I happened to glance at a schecter before I made my way to the Spector Euro 4s. He said "You like that schecter? it just came in." I said "It's alright" he's like "check it out i'll plug it in for you." (like I can't plug it in myself.) Though I took him up on the offer and I wasn't impressed at all. After that it was back to the Euro 4's.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's because that's the guitar that the sales person makes the most commission on. They're called GP Bombs (GP is pronounced "jip", and stands for Gross Profit).
  4. Funny, That's never happened to me.

Maybe because they know that I have no money.
  5. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I figured that was it. I guess I can't blame the guy for trying to make a living but man it bugs.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Same thing happens to me in GC instead they push Warwanks. I usually respond with a "Do I look like I'd play a Warwank?"
  7. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Ha, I was thinking of stopping by the local GC tomorrow after work, just because I haven't been there in awhile. Now to see if I get Schecterized.
  8. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    The hallendale guitar center I'm known by name...I've befriended all the employees and get decent discounts on everything I buy, they never bother me about anything in there, I noodle on whatever amp I want, they ask my how <insert instrument/amp> is working out for me, sometimes they even have me suggest things to the people shopping if one of the bass playing employees is busy or just not there.

9. Having trouble with typing Warwick or something?
  10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    lol. you should also say in response, "those basses make jesus cry."

*who has that picture?*
  11. Bryan can vouch for me on this. We have alot of Ernie Balls, warwicks, yamahas, Fenders and Ibanezs at the local GC. But, it's nice to try out some used stuff.
  12. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    That never happens to me, everybody is really nice at my Guitar Center. The guys and girls at my local guitar center are nice, and helpful, and never push anything on me.
  13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You work there don't you?
  14. we don't have a GC nearby, but we have a similar guitar store, where anybody whose anybody ONLY plays either pre-buyout SWR or Eden, which just so happens they've got several of each. I asked about Hartke, they said, they are really crappy, what i wanted was an SWR. I said i wanted to try out a Stingray 5er, they said i wanted an Eden. I asked where the restroom was, and he tried to sell me a SWR LA-8!!
    its really kind of pathetic!
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Which means more commission to bid from.. Does Schecter make any nice models? :cool:
  16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess its a matter of opinion. I have a Stiletto Elite 4 neck through and love it. Its the first bass in years that felt good as soon as I picked it up.
  17. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Noe. Eye R a gud speler! Eye speled it W-A-R-W-A-N-K
    un purpos.
  18. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, the Schecter ploy... That happens to me periodically, at the Columbus GC. Recently, in fact. My son & I went down because he wanted to make a decision as to which he liked better, a J or P. While there, he tried one of the cheapo Spectors, & the salesman immediately tried to put a Schector in his hands. EVEN THO, we told him that we were really there to make a decision between J's & P's....

19. Never heard of those.
  20. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Yeah. I really don't see anything wrong with a Schecter. They seem like pretty nice basses but they really don't do anything for me.

I just find it irritating that it seems thats all GC want's to sell someone.