Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's with Mesa Boogie?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 5, 2004.

1. I hardly can find anything about Mesa Boogie on the web, at least not compared to Ampeg or Hartke or SWR...? Are they a US company or a foreign one?
    Reason I'm asking is that I went to a different music store today and they had a Mesa Walkabout 12' combo on the floor that I tried, and I never heard such a sweet sounding amp in all my life! A pure sweet, natural tone came out of that thing, (IMO), and with only a little Fender Mustang bass too! It looked a little expensive tho; at $899? But that was list; I'm guessing the store might discount it down to about $600 or something?
    Anyone know anything about these Mesa Walkabout part-tube 250W combos? (I tried a search here and only found a few (very good) comments about Mesa's larger heads..)

Thanks,
    Greywoulf :>)

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    www.mesaboogie.com

There's a lot of info about mesa boogie in these forums. In fact there's a few threads that are still pretty recent.

You'll have luck if you do a forum search.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Boogie is considered the first "hot-rod" amp company. They invented gain, channel switching, effects loops, rackmount amps, etc.... You get the idea.

They are not sold through mail order, and they don't play the retail vs. real price game.

Most people say they're great. There are some dissenters, though, and that's ok. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong.

Try a search. You will be amazed at what you find.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX

5. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I should be picking up my Walkabout Scout in a couple of weeks (I found a great deal on a used one). I agree with your description of the sound...it was awesome for a 12" combo. They are pricey...the list is $999 for the 12" model. Mesa uses something called "Pro Net" pricing and my local shop had one tagged at the $999 price, and they usually have things discounted at 25-35%. FYI - a used one just sold on ebay for a "Buy it Now" price of $875. If you can get one for 600 bucks....grab it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmnope. It'll be $899.

7. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I'm actually shocked that you can get the Walkabout Scout for $899. It must be a discount for a floor model. The Walkabout head is actually 300w, not 250w.

8. I love Mesa Boogie. My first "real" setup was an Ampeg SVT-III through a Diesel 2x15 cabinet, and oh my god, lemme tell you, learning to play on that rig caused my parents some pain! :D I've not owned anything Mesa-related for 3 months of my life, when I had an Ampeg 4x10CL and Eden WT-600 head. Mesa doesn't only own the guitar-head world, as they're slowly taking over a large market in the bass-playing world. The 400+ is considered by many pros and people I know to be a far superior all-tube amp than even a vintage SVT (argument starts <-- here! :bag: ). The first Mesa amp I owned was an M2000, the first true two-channel/blendable bass amp that was just killer. Any tone you could ever want with all of it's options, and it did me great for almost a year. THEN, I played a Mesa M-Pulse 600, and within a week I traded in the M2000 and had me a brand-spankin' new amp. It's incredible. I don't want anything else, except another M-Pulse. I've played it with various cabinets and basses, and it always sounds wonderful. Just pure, clean power that can easily get muddied up with a little Gain boost. Ampeg, SWR, Eden don't even come close. A comparable amp is probably an Aguilar DB750, as reported to me by a few people I know who A/B'd the amps and had a very difficult time choosing, with half going Mesa and half going Aggy. I'd save a couple grand and buy a new bass! :D But yeah, the Walkabout combos are just incredible for the money. Plus you get the Walkabout amp all by it's lonesome if needs be! Mesa just introduced a new 750-watt hybrid amp to go head-to-head with Aggy's DB750, and I'm really GASsing to try one out! I'm currently using my Mesa with an Aguilar GS112 and a Mesa Powerhouse 1x15 and have tone to die for. Any of my 3 basses that I plug in, I always get killer results. Plus, did anyone mention that these new lines of amps are the hell LOUD??? I play against a VERY loud drummer and a Mesa Dual-Recto half stack, and never get about about 2 or 3 on stage. Killer. Anything from Mesa's new line is going to be leaps and bounds ahead of anything in its' price range. You can't go wrong. :bassist:

9. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    what shop in Jersey did you find the 12" combo for 899. I need to head over there. What other Mesa stuff did they have?