What's with MIMs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrunkenJoker84, May 2, 2002.

1. DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    I keep hearing things about MIM basses, yet i have absolutely no idea what they are. Are they good? Are they bad? Why and why not? These are things that i dont know because...well you could say im dumb. anyway, happy for responses if you have them.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    MIM stands for Made In Mexico. It's a term that describes a Fender Bass. For example, a MIM P-Bass is a Fender Precision bass that was manufactured in Mexico.

MIM=Made in Mexico
    MIA=Missing in ac- er, Made in America
    MIJ=Made in Japan

They are Fender's standard series. Affordable, usually high-quality, but with some quality control issues. Shop around and you can usually find a very good bass.
  3. MIM means "Made in Mexico" Fender basses. Also, MIA means Made in America, and MIJ means Made in Japan.
    As for whether they're good or bad, that's probably up to the individual player. Fender's quality control is sometimes a bit spotty, but many people feel they're good for the price for a beginner or someone who wants to tinker around with and upgrade a bass.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    they are great starters bass! i know that cuz i began on one :)

it is still around me, i might upgrade bridge and pickups this july...
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been playing for 26 years, so I guess I don't qualify as a beginner, but I have a MIM Jazz anyway... it is a very good bass for the price, and not just for beginners (and I haven't upgraded it either, but it is still good enough to use on gigs).
  6. I meant the price range is good for a beginner- I've seen plenty of them used in local shows around here, so they're definatley usable in a gig. Which is cool, since that's what I play too right now.
  7. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    You must be kidding ;)
    Well, according to your user name...:)
  8. My friend has a NIM Jazz 5 and he has had nothing but trouble with it. The truss rod is under extreme tension and still will not pull the fretboard flat. The truss rod nut broke before enough tension could be applied to straighten the neck. When trying to get a replacement nut from Guitar Center in Sacramento, the sales boy said he'd take one off a bass that they had in the storeroom. That bass, eventhough it was brand new, didn't even have a trussrod nut. Then sales boy said he would take one from one of the display basses. Guess what? Of 6 NIM Jazz 5's in stock, not a single one of them had the trussrod nut.

My opinion of the $350.00 MIN Jazz 5 is that it might be allright if you replaced the neck with a $350.00 warmouth, or if you wanna be really pimpin, get a modulus blackknife, but for the $1000.00 that would cost, all you'd have is a beautiful neck hung on a fugazzi.

Not only do you get what you pay for, but you also don't get what you don't pay for.
  9. Pigmata.... sounds a LOT fishy to me. I dislike fender a lot... but that is BS. If ALL of them had no nut, it is obvious that the year of the model in the store had a different rod, or set up than the year of your buddies Named In Mexico (NIM??) or Made In Norway (MIN??)... That post did not make sense.

Sorry piggy.

10. Drake, you smell stank because you you are a poopy. How brillaint you must be to confidently assume that I do not know what a trussrod nut is. I brought this up at the fender forum and it was admitted by a factory rep who moderates that forum that this problem had indeed occoured with a sizeable batch of MIN Jazz 5's, and offered a replacement nut under warrany to anyone who felt like waiting up to 6 weeks to get it. The problem, according to me, was not that the nut broke. It's that the neck was made from a piece of stock that was so curved that it took nut breaking tension to flatten it out. I was told that if I wanted to, I could send it, freight prepaid, to their customer service center where after up to 6 weeks, the neck may or may not be replaced, depending on weather or not their bench guy called it a material defect. If he decided that I was so sutpid as to tighten the truss rod until it broke because I do not know how to set up my own bass, then I'd have to pay $200.00 for a replacement. All of this was just too much hassle for a $350.00 bass, so my friend just gave it to his little brother.
  11. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    MIN / NIM ?

Made in Norway. LOL

No offense to Norwegians:p
  12. I have a MIM Fender P-Bass that i recently purchased for 350.00 american. I love this thing!! I have mine in the Midnight Blue with a chrome pickguard. People throw me nothing but compliments on this and when i save enough my MIA P-Bass will be the same color. There is nothing wrong with MIM P's IMO.
  13. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    I can assure folks that quality control issues are far from restricted to the MIM's, and far from restricted to Fender.

And, like the MIA’s and MIJ’s, there are multiple MIM ranges and models with varying degrees of spec.
  14. I have a 2001 model MIM p-bass. Alder body, sunburst finish, "updated" electronics and knobs. The neck is really nice to play, and it sounds just like, welll... a P-bass.

The only thing wrong with it, is it doesn't have 5 strings. If it did, I'd keep it forever. But it doesn't, and I want a 5-string P sound...

15. Hey, does that mean you wanna sell yours? ;) , cuz I'd buy it:D