whats with my foot?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Dec 13, 2001.

1. im a marginal player and have a question, ive noticed while i play, i dont really keep a consistant rythem with my foot. its like i tap my foot sort of on and off. if i find myself thinking about tapping my foot, i screw up my timing. i feel like i have decent timing when i just play and dont worry about my foot. but then people tell me that when playing with other people it will help me a lot. whats the story with the foot? can you keep time just as well with body movement, brain action, head movement? i suppose you might say "whatever works, do it" but i was just wondering what everybodys thoughts were, and what works for them. thanks.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My teacher noticed that I tend to bob my head when I play, and he said it was one of those habits I could do without. Apparantly it only throws off your timing. I don't know why or how, but I'll take his word for it.

I honestly don't know about foot-tapping. I don't think it could hurt any, unless it confuses you. You might try practicing with it, and seeing if after a while it helps you lock onto the beat, or just go without it. One piece of advice I read in BP that was pretty helpful was to tap a quarter note, or even half notes. It said when you tap eighths it makes your playing sound rushed, but tapping slower helps you groove better.

I'm sure someone else has better advice, but that's a start.