1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats with Octave Pedal manufacturers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jarrydee, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    it just seem to me that if you are going to make an octave pedal for bass, you would make it so it does an octave up over down....or at least both...why would you want to learn a song over in a higher register....dont make sense to me, now I know most of you would have no problem shifting up an octave to play a tune, but it still just dont seem right! OR,..... is it more difficult to make an octave higher pedal? :bag:

2. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    PS. I know there are a couple up annd down octave pedals...but not many...and they are more expensive!

3. You know you don't have to move up an octave to use a sub-octave pedal, right? Most octave pedals will track down to an open A string without a problem.

Octave pedals come in many shapes and sizes and offer many different functions and tones. Some have high octaves, almost all have sub-octaves.

With that said, the majority of octave pedals are designed to be used as a sub-octave because that's what the majority of consumers want. What you want seems to be outside the mainstream, so you may need to look somewhere besides Boss and MXR for your octave fix. Electro-Harmonix makes at least four pedals (Micro POG, POG2, HOG, Ring Thing) that feature high-octaves. I believe that Fox makes a pedal with switchable low and high octaves. They are out there, you just have to look.

4. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah the sub-octave sound is way different from the 8-string bass sound you get in a octave up. Admittably I can't really find a use for mine either though, adding in the sub while playing with a band just makes it sound wet and weird.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I think the octave-down can be implemented analog (a fairly simple circuit, also known as a frequency divider), while the octave-up tends to require a digital pedal (which requires tracking, which requires R&D, etc.)

That's why many octave-down pedals as well as octave-up-and-down pedals exist, but few if any pedals are octave-up only.

6. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I love using a sub-octave (-1) to fatten up synth/fuzz/chorus lines and works well with ambient lines to really make the bass FAT. An upper octave (+1) is fun for synth/delay/8-string emulation

7. POG II has up one octave, up two octaves, down one octave and down two octaves. That's why I like it.

8. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Maybe you should go for a harmonizer, and just play in the key of c all the time..let the harmonizer do the thinking.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually there are many, many analog octave-up pedals out there, however they use distortion to create the octave up, and it tends to sound bad on bass. The Roger Mayer Octavia, as used by Hendrix and Brian May, is the classic example.

The only exception I have ever encountered was the MXR Pitch Transposer, the original blue-faced 2-rack-height analog version. Its circuit was so expensive to produce that nobody has even bothered to try replicating it since then.

Aside from bad-sounding distortion, and one great-sounding but unobtainable and inconvenient rarity, octave up is a digital effect.

The good news is there are some good-sounding digital octave-up pedals. They are not hard to find, and they are mentioned frequently in this forum. :)

10. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    ^^^agreed^^^

If I could have the analog -1 octave of my Octamizer with the +1 of the Micro Pog without spending $300+ for both (and giving up two spots on my pedal board) I'd be very happy.

I think the -1 octave on the Pog sounds like digital poo and playing above the 12th fret with the Octamizer isn't as desirable (or cool sounding) as the awesome organ sound of the +1 Micro Pog below the 5th fret. I wish EH made an Micro 1/2 Pog with just the +1 octave for $100. I'd buy that.

hmmmm.... or an analog octave down pedal with a digital octave up feature by-passable via footswitch. Now that I would seriously consider as well!

11. Lots of multi effects also have a passable pitch shifter effect that might work. I like to one in the Zoom B2 and also use a Akai UniBass for octave up and the cheap trusty old Digitech BP8 has the Whammy effect. One of my favorite but rarely used patches on the Zoom combines the octaver and octave up pitch shift for a "12 string bass effect"

12. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The Octron (and Octron 2) does both, up and down...and both at the same time if you want. great for heavy parts or synthy parts.

I wouldn't use the octave pedal to play a part in the right octave but higher on the fretboard. I use it to fatten.

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Fascinating discussion. I myself am GASing for the MXR octave deluxe pedal. It's only a down octave, but it seems to track well plus I love the separation of "growl" from "girth" and the mid boost.

14. Fuzzhugger Upper, and the Octup by Tim Escobedo(?) (DIY)

15. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    I've wondered this too and have been looking for a less expensive version of the POG.

Octave is the only effect I have much interest in (up and down) so will probably eventually get a POG2 but dang its expensive and you never see them used.

Somebody could really hit a home run with something similar to the Mini POG for more like $100.

16. The Foxrox does indeed octave up and down and it's pretty sweet. I use it mostly for the sub octave but the octave up side is awesome as well. It tracks incredibly well too. If you're looking for something more digital, the EHX differents POG models are there.

As for the Roger Mayer Octavia, I heard the Chicago Iron Octavian is a great clone. Never heard it on bass though..

17. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    +1

[SIZE=+1]Features[/SIZE]
    OCTRON is all analog, it's not a digital pitch shifter. You won't get that cheesy harmonizer sound. Instead, it's an organic analog effect that responds to your playing style/technique. And takes on a new life when you put it though other effects and crank it up! Octave up, down, clean with a little of each mixed... you can dial in just a hint of octave or you can make OCTRON your octave monster! (check out the clip below).

Octave Down - It's an octave divider in the tradition of Mutron/BOSS OC2/DOD Octoplus/etc... It tracks your dynamics and has more pre-divide gain and filtering. The result is probably the best tracking you'll ever get from an analog octave divider. Ultimately the tracking is most dependent on playing technique. Articulate playing tracks well, sloppy playing doesn't.

Octave up - It's a high gain circuit that uses a pair of germanium diodes to get the octave doubling effect. There's an internal drive/gain trimmer and a tone trimmer, so you can dial in octave sounds that range from pseudo-clean to screaming and bright. The upper octave is present at all parts of the neck, but it becomes most prevalent as you go up the neck on the high strings. Up around the 10th fret and higher you can get a pure upper octave.

18. Also, I think it tracks a bit better than the EBS Octabass and the MXR BOD.. I almost wish I had held out and gotten the Octron2 so I could utilize the octave up side more than I do now without having to change settings.

19. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The pedal is a bit larger than the 1, but the individual footswitches are money. Plus the effects loop...not that I use it yet, but I like knowing I have it even if it just becomes a loop pedal for some instances.

I had the Octabass...horrible tracking compared to the Octron. HORRIBLE! Glitchy and warbly. I never hear a warble at all on the Octron even down on the low E...granted I can't hear the sub octave much since it is so low, but no warble though.

20. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    Looks like Octron is pricey too. $200 or $300 (for the 2) is what I saw in a quick search. Same ballpark as the EHX POGs.

I can see the difference in features, etc. Would be interesting to see a poll or pros/cons from somebody who has used both. The POG is clearly much more widely known but that does not necessarily mean better.