Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's with Rogue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Mar 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just noticed everyone seems to hate this brand completely and totally. What's the deal?

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Rogue like Squire is owned by fender. Fender uses them to make all of the stuff they are too embaressed to put their fender name on. Rogues are worthless p.o.s. if you are looking for a professional type bass, but if you are just starting out, and learning how to play they are great for the money. I think they're only like $80. That way if you later decide you don't like playing bass you aren't out that much money. Plus when your just starting out what equipment you use won't affect things to much any way. I think they also make some really cheap stacks, although I'm not to sure of the quality, as I've never seen one in person.

3. I got stuck with the 5-string!!!!!!!! The only things I didn't like about it was strings. I changed them about a week after playing it.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Maybe im wrong, but i dont think Fender has anything to do with Rogue. Aren't they owned by Musicians Friend (and hence only sold there)?

5. I do remember reading somewhere that Fender makes Rogue, but musicians friend is the exclusive distrubutor, so that's why the prices are low.

6. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    Squier makes the Rogue Strat copy, but I think the Samick factory does the basses. (compare the Rogue violin bass with the Epiphone version, and you'll notice they're awfully similar)

7. I thought I read Rogue by Gibson.. Is it Gibson? Why would they want their name on Rouge stuff?

8. I DO know Rogue strings are made by Gibson. I think Rogue instruments are made by Squier/Fender.

9. but still, people I know hate them. I really do enjoy playing them.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey if you like it, then thats all that matters.
    Rogue is made by Squire, who is made by Fender.

11. Rogue I am pretty sure doesnt have their own factory, they just contract through other brands to make their stuff. Even though they are made in a squire factory (the guitars) they hold none of the same quality standards that squire uses, which means that they are pretty much crap. Strings are just as bad I am guessing. It is funny because at the Musicians Friend outlet store in Kansas City the Staff doesnt even fix or do anything to the guitars and basses that they have in stock. They just have piles of basses that are missing parts and are missing strings. I just know that I would Never buy one.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Okay, now that I got your attention.

Rogues are a inexpensive brand bass. So if you want to compare them to more expensive basses, you may be disapointed with them. But if you compare them to Squire, and other entry level instruments then I think you will find that they are actually quite good.

I have a Rogue acoustic bass that I find to be fun to play and I am very happy with it's feel, tone and appearance.

13. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

What a load of crap...now I know why I stopped coming to this site.

-GM

14. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Where do you guys come up with stuff like "Rogue is owned by Squier, which is owned by Fender"? Squier isn't 'owned' by Fender. The Squier gear is produced overseas under contract to Fender. Fender supplies the specs and marketing, but the manufacturers are independent companies. Some of the Squiers have been produced by Samick in Korea, which also makes the Epiphone line for Gibson. I think that Samick also makes the Rogue line, as well as their own brand of guitars and basses. So, there is a connection in that they come from the same company, but that company is NOT Fender.

15. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Then, someone better tell fender, because rogue is going to be in some deep trouble when Fender finds out they are make Stratocasters, and Telocasters, that say Rogue by Fender.

16. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Sometimes....it just leaves you shaking your head in disbelief at the disinformation floating around....:rolleyes:

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, looking at the Mothe..er, Musician's Friend's catalog there is a picture of a Rogue Strat saying Rogue, not by Fender, but by Squier ($89 bucks, any takers?)

If Fender subcontracts out for the manufacturing of Squier gear, It stands to reason that the company that makes Squier's guitars also makes itself available to other companies that approach it. I'm pretty sure the Strats are Squier cousins, but I'm not sure about the basses. If the Rogue basses were made by Squier, my guess is that Rogues would be P and J bass copies. The Rogue line of basses looks like it was made by the people who make Series 10 basses (Samick?) or those horrible "Synsonics" guitars you see in catalogs once in a while.

Will C.:cool:

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... thats a clear way of putting it. Thanks for the info. :) I did actually have the idea that Squier and Rogue were like child companies of Fender.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I hear ya man, but since you've left, the air has only gotten thicker with stupidity. :(

Aaaahhhh...back in the day...

20. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    The times...they are a changin'.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.