Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats with the cost?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by finno_gilbo, Oct 9, 2002.

1. finno_gilbo

finno_gilbo

Jul 31, 2002
    australia NSW
    I only own a 45w att amp that I got with my bass and it sucks considerably. Anyone out there heard of "drive" amps? neither have I.

im loking for a 60- 100 watt amp of decent quality and everything ive seen new is very expensive.
    because of this im looking for a second hand amp. why is it that amps cost at least twice as much as a good bass?

i need help with how much i should pay for different size second hand amps, and any brands i should be looking out for.
    i dont really wanna spend to much however.

2. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    I got a used Ampeg B100R, 100 watts thru a 15" for $325 in like new condition. You could also probably find the Ampeg BA-115 which is similar but has a tweeter for about the same money. Carvin has some decent bang for the buck on new gear. Ebay is your friend. Just make sure the seller has positive feedback and you get as much info on both the amp and the seller before committing.

3. What price do you consider very expensive? As for 60-100 watt amps, I think that there are many that are reasonably priced. I would consider a SWR Workingman's 12 good, at $800 list. At that price, I would probably consider a bass, good at best ,in general (there are exeptions), IMO and IME.

If price is an issue, used is a way to avoid some of that. You might get someone else's troubles, but from what I have seen on here, most people who buy used gear are satisfied that it is generally a good way to buy. There are a few exceptions that I recall, but overall it is fairly safe (but still be cautious). Ebay, www.bassgear.com and the classifieds here on Talkbass are good places to look.

Amps to look for, IMO, for a good quality, used amp are the lower priced or powered combos. There seems to be a large market of these, as it seems people use them as stepping stones to larger amps. Nemesis by Eden and SWR Workingman's are tremendous bang for the buck in my opinion. I had a Nemesis 410, and it was surprisingly light, and it had a decent amount of volume and excellent tone. I was tremendously impressed with the SWR Workingman's 12, very good tone and volume. Well priced as well. If I were in the market for an amp like you describe now, at a budget, it would be the SWR WM12, or the Nemesis NC112P.

Overall, I think you should try out a bunch of amps and decide what features you like best. These amps all have different features that you may or may not like. I have seen many good, small combos in the $300-400 range, and in some cases, even less.

Hope this helps,
    Geoff