what's with the elevated "trade values" in sale threads?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eyeballkid, Dec 9, 2015.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    can anyone explain to me why people post for sale threads where they list one price for the sale price and an increased price for trade value? for example, say someone has an item for sale for $1,000, and it's worth about $1,000, why do they also post "trade value" being a few hundred more?? An item is not worth an extra $100 or two just because cash isn't involved. why is this common practice, and what's the point? because if I had a different item that was worth $1,000 that I wanted to trade to them there's no way on earth I did offer them an extra couple hundred bucks.

Any words of wisdom or reasoning? I don't get it.

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Maybe somebody who actually does this regularly can explain his/her thinking, but here's my guess: If you're selling something, it's probably because you need/want the cash to spend on something else. If somebody offers you a trade instead of cash, it's unlikely that what they're offering is exactly that "something else" you want the money for, so there's no point in you making the trade. However, if they are willing to trade you something that's worth more than your item, you might be willing to accept it with the idea of then re-selling it for a profit. And this seems fair, since you're the one who's going to go to the trouble of making the extra sale. In a sense, they are paying you a fee to sell their item for them. If they were willing to go to that trouble themselves, they could just sell their item on their own and pay you cash (and pocket the extra change), but if they don't want to do that they can in effect "pay" you to do it for them.

I've never really understood the popularity of trading, for precisely this reason. I did one trade on TB many years ago: A guy was selling a bass that I really wanted, and in his ad he said that he was not interested in any trades except for a particular X or Y. It just so happened that I owned that particular X and had been thinking about selling it, so I did the trade. It seemed to me that the odds against this were virtually astronomical, and I wouldn't expect it to ever happen again. In general, it just makes a lot more sense to me to sell what you have for cash, and then buy exactly what you want with that cash, instead of trying to find trading partners who want what you have and happen to have exactly what you want. Evidently it works for lots of folks, and all the power to them, but I'll never understand it.

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Maybe the guy is willing to trade but really wants cash. You have to make it worth his while, I guess.

The only trade I have ever made happened through Craigslist, and I didn't initiate it. I was selling an Acoustic 320/408 stack with covers and an original footswitch. It was a really nice amplifier, in great shape for its age, and with all the bells and whistles. But, I was a little flabbergasted when a guy turned up wanting to trade a Ric 4003 in a special color for it. I took the trade and sold the Ric and bought a Thunderbird, which is what I really wanted. Everyone was happy. I don't expect that to ever happen again.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    You both nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021