1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's with the love for G&L lately?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mangoes, Dec 12, 2019.

1. mangoes

mangoes

Oct 31, 2019
    Montreal, QC
    five-ten years ago you rarely heard about or saw g&l basses on talkbass or in the wild, but it seems someone mentions g&l every other thread nowadays. i haven't played one in probably over 10 years -- i've only played tributes and i wasn't particularly impressed by them then -- so i'm wondering what's changed? why are they seemingly everywhere now?

2. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Maybe their quality improved? I remember playing some pretty dodgy ones decades ago.
    I have 2 pretty recent ones, and they are both really fine, well made instruments.
    Both of mine are passive,alnico magnet models,and i love the solid 6-bolt necks.
    (The older ones i tried had a tripoint microtilt which i remember seemed kinda flimsy.) F04221E3-6F56-4188-BABF-BF85102879C7.jpeg

tekhedd, Tbone76 and foolforthecity like this.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Probably several factors, but I bet it helps that they've introduced USA and Tribute versions of a traditional J-bass (JB, JB-5) and P-bass (LB-100).

Plus, many G&L players are very enthusiastic about the brand, and promote them regularly on here. I've done a fair bit of that myself! :D

4. Jeff Haislip

Jeff Haislip

Sep 2, 2009
    They are flat out great instruments. The build quality is good, the sound is good, and the price you pay is good. Have you looked at the prices of the Fender Ultras and Music Man basses lately?? Wow!! Just my two cents worth. No charge, and I am not endorsed by anyone. On the other hand, if anyone wants to endorse me with free stuff let's talk!! :smug:

NYCBass, joebar, Jeff Elkins and 8 others like this.
  5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I'm biased, but they are a thing unto themselves. Nothing like Leo's MFDs!

Swiss Army or dead simple.
    They are great.
    IMG_20180811_081412246_HDR.jpg 15746100102477930991737593866210.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. mangoes

mangoes

Oct 31, 2019
    Montreal, QC
    dkelley likes this.
  7. They’ve always been great instruments.

TomB likes this.
  8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

1983 SB1 first generation.
    IMG_20180804_174316520.jpg IMG_20180804_174409704_HDR.jpg IMG_20180804_174443852.jpg

Attached Files:

9. I've noticed an increase in interest here on TB since the re-introduction of the LB-100, followed by another boost from the JB debut. It seems that copying Fender more closely has worked for G&L. Even so, I still don't see many in the wild or even on TV. Before that, G&L was more of an esoteric brand.

woodyng2 likes this.
  10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I think the company has grown significantly in the last 10 years, and they’ve been putting out new models and pushing a few boundaries in the last few. With the CLF Research department, you can bet they’ll be coming out with some more reissues (I feel the next will be the El Toro) and perhaps some MFD-single coil equipped Jazz Basses or something.

pjbassist likes this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    It's simply reality sinking in.
    I've said I'm done with buying but what I really mean is I'm done with buying anything but G&L.
    I've owned 25 basses over the last 7 years and nothing can compare to my L2000.

MarkJC8, stingray69, joebar and 9 others like this.
  12. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Criminally underrated basses. All because it ain't got that Fender logo.

moreblues, jd56hawk, djaxup and 8 others like this.
  13. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    New people in sales and marketing. At least one guy came over from Fender a year or two ago. I think their online presence is better, and rolling out a number of new models gets good visibility. And they make good instruments.

MCF and Hachimitsu Pie like this.
  14. Valsmere

Valsmere Gold Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    I love mine but I couldn't find any dealer near where I live so I ended up ordering it on line

Miker27607 likes this.
  15. I'm with you on that. Pretty sure I've had all the various MFD permutations, and they've all delivered. If I had to pick faves, I might go with the MFD singles on the 1st gen SB-1, SB-2, Lynx, and of course the slot pole L-series 'buckers......that's not to take anything away from the split-P and El Toro humbuckers, though! Man, what a line-up. :thumbsup:

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if i was going for a fender (if i had the GAS) = i'd get a G&L. hands down the best fender, all-around. my two. :)

17. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    I don't know, but I hope the use market never gets pricey. I love the ones I have and might want to add another or two.
    20191001_085341.jpg
    Any excuse to repost this pic. ;)

18. Lol! Copying Fender? Do you know who G&L was founded by?

19. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

The intersection of me starting to really "need a five string" and finding a G&L USA L2500 I liked at Bass San Diego happened about six or seven years ago. I've been a fan of all three ever since.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  20. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    The quote was “Copying Fender more closely”, i.e, the Lb100 and jb models with the alnico pickups,to get a more traditional Fender sound than the active/mfd pickup sound GL is largely known for.
    Or at least that’s the way I took it...