1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats with the trades on talkbass?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Jojers, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Dearest all,

I am FAR from attempting to be inflammatory with this question.... here it goes.

Irrespective of the classified being clearly "FOR SALE" only, there are numerous attempts to lowball trade, on private message.
    So far I have no problem, nothing wrong with trying.
    My problem resides in the fact that almost EVERY trade offer consists in something of way less value plus $100 or something like that. Not even close to the asking price, which I can agree that occasionally may be listed for more than ebay or other questionable sites. Let alone the comparison with the Topeka New Mexico Craigslist that is missing 3 strings, the owner doesn't answer on texts, probably will get you killed on a parking lot and best case scenario the truss rod works for one more setup. Oh, and you have to drive for 18 hours straight to get there.

There is nothing wrong with someone listing a price above what buyers expect to pay, but that's not an excuse to lowball or compare with other ridiculous ads.

So what's with the lowball trades?

I am a warwick collector and all my basses are flawless. plenty of truss rod, ship double boxed and with a nice working case or gig bag. I'm pretty sure I don't want to trade an Infinity TCS SN 5 for a fender MIM, one fuzz stomp box and $50 gift card from toy R us.

All in all, I believe that culturally we need as a community to learn how to be more respectful and hopefully avoid lowballing with trades that are ridiculous, particularly when the classified clearly states FOR SALE only.

I am a firm believer that if you don't pick up the penny, you don't deserve the dollar. That said, if you don't have the cash to make a serious offer please refrain from potentially offending someone with whatever you don't want to have anymore -of way less value-. Maybe refrain from throwing a hail-mary if doesn't even get close to offer 85-90% of the asking price in goods?

Again, am venting after clearing the inbox from some trade attempts that are plain ridiculous.

Always respectful and truly yours,

JJ

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ll definitely remember to never send you a trade offer.... But, yeah, that’s just the way things are these days. People are hoping that folks are desperate enough to make that quick trade. I’m not justifying it. Just saying.

B-Mac, MattZilla and Jojers like this.
  3. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    there is a difference between sending an offer and lowballing. you are more than welcome to send me an offer, just make one that you'd like to receive. it's called courtesy.

RedJag and rashrader like this.
  4. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I don’t see why a lowball is “offensive.” Annoying, maybe. But even then, just say “no thanks” and move along. Ranting does nothing.

5. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Well Toys R Us used to be the best gift card for metal...

RobertUI and rashrader like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if I'm going to lowball I first blatantly ask if they're open to the potential insult

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I can understand being frustrated with ridiculously low offers.
    On the other hand, I have to shake my head at how many people ask for way more than certain used basses are worth.

B-Mac likes this.
  8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    What's with them? I don't know. I get a bee in my bonnet about people haggling before setting an eye on the item.

I can relate to wanting to trade a toothpick up to a paper clip up to a solar powered calculator and so on up to a house. Maybe that only happens with spending three to six hours a day offering whatever one has to trade to everyone with a trade ad posted?

It still rubs me wrong, though.

9. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

You should take this up with a moderator

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    perception is reality. The sense of offense is subjective.
    Just because you don't see that your comment or offer would be offensive to you, it doesn't preclude that it may be offensive to someone else. If you ever wonder if you should say something, maybe you should think twice? Lowball offers are not naïve. Are meant to take advantage of a situation or a person in need. No one offers trades for same or higher value, I recon. But that doesn't mean that <80% offers are just plain insulting. When you miss the mark, intentionally, by a lot.... that seller may become offended.

this is how
    1) first scenario: you place something for sale with an asking price of X. you check to see if someone has a financially viable offer to you. close. you do the math. it doesn't add up. you pass. you thank that person. if it adds up, you go for it and great! I just traded a warwick thumb 4 for a fender American dimension deluxe.

2) second scenario: you invested 2 grand on a bass, you baby it. then someone offers you a $500 bass in a trade. You have three options: ignore, become annoyed, or take offense.

Its an emotion, it is not rational. and I'm not ranting, believe me. I'm asking politely what is it behind this approach. Knowledge-wise, this community is second to none. Financially, oh boy.

B-Mac likes this.
  11. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    or maybe I am ranting :)

12. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    and that's socially acceptable....if the response is "NO" then you refrain from offering, correct?

13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    of course. prefacing my offer like that has often paid off with their respect and great deals.

14. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    thats called class.

Bass V likes this.
  15. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Good advice.

16. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    The difference being that you can ignore that seller’s post, as he didnt target you when he posted. when a potential buyer lowballs through PM then it’s 1:1 and it’s on. it’s a dialogue prone to fireworks.

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sure, if you even bother engaging with people like that.
    I'd put them on ignore and only deal with the people who make serious offers.

18. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I giggled a little

19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Honestly, I think this is quite an over reaction. How much does a PM really affect your life? It’s very easy for the keyboard warriors to send out basically blind offers, what do they have to lose????

You call yourself a Warwick collector, me, I have have no use for Warwicks whatsoever, so any price you show has zero impact on me. I would have absolutely no idea if your price is good or if you are trying gouge me or not. There are a lot of people on here that for whatever faulty logic they may have, think they are going to make money flipping basses. If they don’t make an offer they will never have an answer. It takes about 2 seconds to delete these if you are offended.

Picton likes this.
  20. Jojers

Jojers Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    with the same logic, your hopefully respectful appreciation of my possible overreaction prompted you to respond. I welcome it.
    had you insulted me, the reaction would have likely been different.
    thats the difference exactly. courtesy and empathy over the opposits.