Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what's with these cheap light bulbs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 18, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How long do your light bulbs typically last?

Mine are lasting about a month these days. Is that unusual?

I'm buying a popular brand (whose name includes the letters "G" and "E").

Is it my imagination, or has something changed over the last year?

Back in the old days, my light bulbs used to last for years. I wouldn't find myself up on the chair but once a year.

Lately it's been once a week.

What's up with that? Is anyone having a similar experience?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You might be getting power surges or something similar that's causing your lights to blow.

Have you had trouble with your wiring before?

3. we have one bulb in a closet thats been on about 2 years. it was there (and on) when we moved in and theres no switch, and im not about to touch that thing. wish i knew what brand it was though. :smug:

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Anybody else ever notice that they only pop when you hit the switch to turn them on?

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, no power surges or anything like that. I have an outdoor bulb by the front door that's been in ever since I've owned the house, a little over three years, and it's still doing fine. The old bulbs that are in the bathrooms and closets are fine. It's just the new ones that don't seem to last more than a week or two.

6. maybe you just happened to catch a bad batch?

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, that's possible. I've been noticing this over a period of six months or so, it just seems that I constantly find myself at the store buying light bulbs. I don't know anything about how they manufacture these things, so I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a "batch" (or a production run).

8. how bout different brands? I'm not sure if it makes a difference though. It could be that every light bulb is manufactured by the same company and sold under different labels.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Try one of those energy saving bulb thingies. They are more expensive, yea, but should last for 10 years. Besides, they might save you a couple of bucks in the long run.

10. My folks have had me replace every light bulb in the house with those things. compared to a standard 60W, they give off more light wile using only 13W or some sillyness.

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The first house we rented when I got married "ate" bulbs. Got more than a week's use, but I expect more than the month or two we were getting out of 'em. I don't know if it was a factor, but the house did have aluminum wiring, which has fallen out of favor. We also had power fluctuations which seemed very slight (never bothered my computer) and I don't know how that is related either. Anyway, when we moved the problem certainly didn't follow us...

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Wow, that's interesting. How did you determine that your house had aluminum wiring?

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I tend to blow bulbs at season changes. Spring/Fall. Seems like I will replace a bunch then I am good to the next season change, ,then I am changing the ones I didnt change the first time.

I also noticed this with auto headlights. Seems they always blow in late fall/early winter.

Any relevence?

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've put those flourescent energy savers in a couple of key places around the house and they seem to be going strong and they're supposed to last for years. The only thing with flourescents though is that they might last for years but they start to fade in brightness over time. Still a good investment nonetheless. Go to Big Lots and get them for fairly cheap. The ones I currently have I got at K-mart's going out of business sale so they didnt cost me much more than a regular bulb.

I'll just be glad when we can get LED light bulbs for fairly cheap. You can get them now for just under 90 bucks!! Those will last for ever though and when they do come down drastically in price it's going to put a hurtin' on the normal light bulb industry...it'll probably make them obsolete.

brad cook