What's with this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Feb 18, 2001.

1. I have a Harktke cab 2x15 but I replaced the speakers with, whatI thought were 2 8ohm Eminence speakers. The only prolem is that I have been getting consistant reading of 6 ohms via the input according to a voltmeter. Any ideas why this is occuring?
  2. You've got nothing to worry about, what you're seeing is perfectly normal. A speakers impedence value is basically an average one. The impedence of a speaker changes with frequency and cone excursion while it is being driven, so the impedence is basically the average value of all the different impedences the speaker can have. What you're measuring is the DC resistance (the resistance when the cone isn't moving) of the driver, which is usually 5.5-6.5 ohms for an 8 ohm speaker. Hope this helps.
  3. I get what youre saying scapegoat, but this is supposed to be a 4 ohm cab(2-8 ohms speakers) and Ive never mearsured them while playing, just directly out of the input jack to the meter. It ALWAYs reads 6 ohms? I didn't think that this was possible. That is my question
  4. Oh, I see, just a little misund on my part, sorry. Two 8 ohm speakers will give 4 ohms if they're parallel. Correct that for DC resistance and you've got about 3 ohms. You're getting a reading of 6 ohms. DC resistance is always less than rated impedence. That suggests that they ain't 8 ohm speakers. That reading is consistent with two 16 ohm speakers in parallel (or two 4 ohm in series). You should take the drivers out and test them independently and see what the meter reads. If you get 12-13-14 ohms per driver they're 16 ohms and Eminence gave you the wrong speakers!

BTW it's SPACEgoat:D
  5. My fualt Space. I just got back from 3 gigs that totalled 1200 miles in the van. So Im a little delirious.
    I am wordering if I may have an 8 and a 4 ohm speaker?? Does that make 6 ohms possible?
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    An 8ohm and 4ohm speaker in parallel would give you 2.67 ohms. So DC resistance would be less than that.