Whats worse when buying a used bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, May 19, 2007.

1. Wood Problems, Cracking, Warping, etc,,,,

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Electronics, Replaced, Non-Original, Shoddy Do-it yourselfer

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. All of the above

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Hey guys, I'm starting a pole. I hope I'm putting this in the right forum. If you bought a bass sight unseen, and found out there are some problems that the seller did not disclose. What would be worse?

2. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Sorry 'bout that. The choices are now showing.

3. neck damage, broken/nonadjusting truss rod, warping, or anything that can not be fixed. Wiring doesn't bother me nor does minor players wear.

I bought a Jazz bass once that I new had a replacement neck on it. Didn't know that it was shimmed to all heck and that the truss rod broke.

Slightly not as bad...Bought a p bass that I was told was a good player. I bought it to try to relic it and when I took the electronics out, someone had taken two separate parts of two separate pbass pickups and glued them into place then tried to solder them to the controls. I laughed and then stripped it all out.

Of course saying all this reminds me that it is all relative to the amount you are paying. Niether of my cases involved money exceeding $150. So they didn't get me to out of shape. And I bought them as projects.

I suppose if you bought a Sadowsky or Valenti or Elrick without touching it first...ANY damage not disclosed would be unacceptable.

Just my 2cents

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Well, I've had two bad experiences when buying used. One I bought here, the other at GC.

a.) A microphonic pickup.

b.) Crack in the headstock from an over-tightened tuning key.

Both of these are quasi-repairable, but I sure hate to pay for it.

The worst thing I could think of when buying a used bass, I suppose, would be a cracked neck of a neck-thru or set neck bass. It's why I won't hardly buy a used neck-thru sight-unseen.

dcr

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Yeah, kinda like the Sadowsky 24-5 I bought with the noisy, rigged-but-OEM preamp.

dcr

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    whooops chose wrongly. I picked electronics when i really meant wood damage.

It costs a lot less to fix electronic damage than wood damage.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021