Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats Worse?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Artist, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Melody without Rhythm

37 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. Rhythm without Melody

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Music without Carrots

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Hi there!

In your oppinion, what is worse...
    Melody without Rythem or Rythem without Melody?

just wandered what you all think...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Rhythm with a missing h and an e too many... ;)

3. maybe I'm just tired but, I didn't get that

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I prefer music that has no constant rhythm. Stop/starts, time sig changes every bar, and radical tempo changes.

And I hate melody; all I listen to is LOSD.

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    can't handle lack of melody. Techno has quite the rhythm but I sure as hell can't get into it

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Listen to Particle and Sound Tribe Sector 9. Both are actually "bands" who play electronic music. Definitely worth a listen.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You wrote rythem, but it's rhythm.

8. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    don't bash me for pulling out the classical stops here, but it needs to be done for the purpose of this poll

I voted for carrots. this is because rythm by itself can be musical (think stravinsky) , and melody by itself can be musical (think John Williams)

It all depends on how tallented the composer is a creating a flow, and an emotion. in Stravinsky's Rite of spring, the overlapping melodies are so numerous, that they arn't melodies at all. it's a cocophany of noise, and clashing notes. people who first went to see it performed thought he was drunk while writing it. but it's not the melody you're supposed to listen to, it's the rythem. it's pounding, percussive, violent, at times calm and tender, but it's the rhythem that makes the music. It's the rythem that evokes the emotions.

on the opposite end, look at much of william's compositions for starwars. at times they break out the heavy stuff for the fight scenes, but most of the time, it's just a flowing of melody. beutiful in evoking a strong emotion, but rythmic? no, because it doesn't add to the emotion he wants to create.

so carrots it is for me. they're both important, and if done right, they can stand well on their own.

Edit: oh and i know my spelling sucks. please bear with me. :bag:

9. oh, sorry
    I thought it was some kind of wierd humor I didn't get ;)

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I can handle a song that has a rhythm section, but no discernable melody.

Even purely Rubato melodies have some sort of rhythm to them.

Crazy time signature changes, starts, stops, and such STILL have a rhtyhm to them... It's disjointedm but you can get into it.. and can find a rhythm... Think Dave Brubeck...

Melody with NO rhythm is pure chaos, and is normally found only in GC... or crazy 20th century "avant garde" (french for "musical theory is for sell-outs")....

Music without carrots is just Tom N Jerry instead of Bugs Bunny...

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Melody without rhyythm.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Artist:

Can you clarify the question? Give examples? What do you mean by "worse"? How can one be better than the other?

Just giving you the benefit of the doubt...

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Music without carrots. No carrots, bad vision, bad vision, can't see bass, can't see bass, can't play bass. Yes I know you can play without looking at the bass, but if you can't see the bass to find where you last put it, you're screwed.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well it depends. Do you like pop hip hop or Mozart.

A lot of non rhythmic classical does bore me. I'm more rhythm based than melody based.

15. Yeah. Give me Atonal polyrhythms anyday.

16. This also hast to be said. There is no possible way of having
    a melodie that is not rhythmic. There must be rhythm.

Everything in life consists of rhythm like for instance the sun rising and setting. Everything around is happens in some sort of pace.

The first note played has a beginning and a end so there for just playing one notes is already a rhythmical composition, since it starts somewhere and has to end somewhere. The duration of the note can be defined as a mesure (lets say even if it ends on the 2436th Note of the third quarter Note in the second bar it has its beginning and end so therefor its already rhythmical).

Just a philosophical thought ;)