Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's wrong with Aguilar's DB359???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 6, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i've been thinking about getting one, but BassNW doesnt even stock them cause they dont feel the demand for them, and i've seen many on ebay. are they not up to snuff?? what da dilly, yo?

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The DB 359 is a great sounding amp. It is also heavy and expensive.

I use tube preamps and SS power amps. Weigh much less and sound great.

Chuck

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ok Heres the deal from my world.I own a aguilar 359 and Im trying to sell mine.Its a great sounding head notes on the Electric have a thick wieghty sound to them.If you dig the subtle over driven tube sound then theres plenty of volume but if you want ld and clean it doesnt really have that mutch.It also wieghs fifty pounds when combined with a rack and a couple of thing quickly get into the really heavy catagory. Im a berklee collage student so I need a very portable rig that can fit in a locker and Do the upright thing and crush on the electric .so Ive bought a walter woods and a couble bergantino 112s.

I f I could afford It Id keep the 359 It does certain things beutifully (the DI KILLS also)

AJ

4. Hey,
    I own a DB359 that I run through (2) Bag End 2x10s and I can tell you that (IMHO), even though it does weigh 50 lbs., I have not heard any amp that sounds so big, fat, warm, and alive and I have owned big rigs by SWR, and Ampeg.
    I use Stingray 5's and I am able to go from deep fingerstyle stuff to bright slappy stuff without changing any settings on the bass or the amp.
    It just seems to breathe and respond to the way I play.

I am now a confirmed tube junky.
    You mileage may vary.

--C4

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, i just got a shiver up my spine when i saw your rig.... ;)

6. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    was not loud enough for my applications......

it sounds great but no volume...

7. Please don't take offense progplayer but IMHO you must have had a defective amp or inefficient or too few speakers because the DB359 will put an SVT to shame.
    I never get mine past 2 in a full band situation.

Either that or your playing some ungodly loud stuff that I can't imagine.

Out of anything anyone has said about this amp I've never heard anyone say it wasn't loud.

Again this is just a friendly difference in opinion.

--Charlie

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Aguilar DB3559 is VERY loud, and has plenty of clean head room. It was designed for clean pure tone, not for overdriven sound. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it! It is a fabulous amp. It was a choice between Eden Traveler, Ampeg SVT3pro, and an SWR SM900. The Aguilar was much more consistant sounding throughout the range, with a variety of different EQ's. It was also a lot more money. You get what you pay for!:)

9. The only thing that would stand between me and a DB359 is the price. I'd say its the finest amp I've ever tried.. made me downright giddy. The storeowner dared me to crank it.... wow!

But alas.. I am a broke college student.

10. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I wonder if its the same head. I had it for literally two days last year. I was in a hardcore/death metal band that was damn loud. I mean real loud and I couldn't hear myself. Two guitarists (full Mesa Boogie Stacks) and a loud drummer. I tried but the Aggie couldn't be heard. Granted I only had a 4x10 cab but....I don't know. That's just my experience with it....

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, I dunno if you already addressed your problem, but...

general rule of thumb is to be 4x the wattage of the guitar doods.

if both guys are running 100 cabs for a total of 200 watts, you might need 800 watts blowing thru whatever combination of cabs can handle that wattage. seems like a lot, but that's cause it is :D. you should try running thru the PA and monitors, too.

but as you guessed it, the main thing that would have helped you is a larger cab. Better yet, you should have augmented the 4x10 with another 4x10, 2x12, or better yet a 1x15. trust me, they would've trembled at the feet of Aguilar goodness...

12. The 4x "general rule" (it's not) has never applied to tube amps. A 300-watt SVT and a single 8x10 can still overwhelm 200 watts of Marshall Plexi through 4 4x12 cabinets, if EQed properly.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ooops,

i stand very corrected.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If that were the case, why are there so many Fender basses on eBay & why are they selling hand over fist?

I recently played one @ NY Guitar & Bass Boutique (9th ave & 50th st in NYC) through a GS210 & GS115 & it sounded GREAT!!!!! Since you're in NYC, you should go there & check it out. http://www.bassboutique.com/

15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I just bought one and I love it . It is warm and loud
    It's the best amp I've ever owned.

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I had a DB359, with a Lakland 55 94 or a american jazz 4 string deluxe, and either 2 SWR goliath jrs or 1 goliath jr and one EA 110.

I now have the same bass but use a Sunn 1200 S and have gotten 2 EA 208's and 1 Aguilar GS112. I use only two cabs at a time but the head easily can handle all three (each are 8 ohmers). There's no comparison for me. The Sunn, non audiophile, with compressors, eq, and other little knick knacks is hands down a better choice for me. The Ag did not have enough shear volume, tonal adjustability, and I didn't feel it had anywhere near the punchiness the sunn can put out. Without the tone controls turned up considerably with the Ag, I couldn't get the volume I needed and I wasn't competing with 3 marshall or mesa stacks!

I've never been in love with tube amps. I never owned an SVT during the 70's. I had a sunn coliseum and used acoustic 370's and was always complemented and "heard" no matter where I played. (my tone, not necessarily my playing!!!)

Tube pre-amps are enough warmth for me!! My head weighs less, has more volume and extremely clean headroom, costs less to own and maintain and no one....NO ONE who has every come to hear my band has ever critisized the tone as "just not being audiophile enough for them!!"

It doesn't hurt that I got a great deal for it either
    !

L Kaye

17. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    if you are thinking about getting a 359 get it now because the price has just doubled on these things...now they are 3 grand ! doh

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    damn mark..

where did you dig this thread up? hehe... that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when i was just a burgeoning bass noob who just got the GAS bug. ;) i've since moved onto 2 rigs, have been lovin' my Demeter setup these days.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I didn't realize Berklee had a collage department. Or maybe it's an English department they lack.

20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I didn't realize Berklee had a collage department. Or maybe it's an English department they lack.

Wow, SEVEN monthes to come up with that one Munj.

Reminds me of a old joke

"Do you play French or Greman"

AJ